Top Handled Saw: Stihl vs Echo vs Husq vs Other?

TimberCutterDartmoor

I've got several top handles .The best is a Stihl 200T . I have 2 or 3 Husky 335 's along with a few mini Macs ,Echos and one tiny Homelite and Sseveral Poulans

The 335 Huskys aren't that bad for power but the oilers are not the best which I can't understand why . The pump is nothing but a shaft with a flat milled on it and a gear on the end .Nothing to really go bad .

Never the less the fix is an 8 dollar part which is not a big deal .The big deal is you nearly have to disect the stupid little saw down to bare bones to replace it .

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

Had 200t, 338 and top handled Makita.

Faults of 200t / 338 i agree with.

I had the Makita around '99 / 2000.

The points that I found really annoying with it were...

The fuel filler hole was too small to allow an anti-spill spout, resulting in having to remove the spout and either using a funnel (yeh, right!), or just spilling fuel all over the saw / lawn.

The side casing required a 10mm combi spanner (which if they exist, didn't come with the saw) which ment you had to carry an actual spanner about with you.

The throttle trigger was too long. It only needs to extend under your index finger, but the makita seemed to interfere with 3 fingers, so at times, you would be gripping the top handle with just your little finger -- not safe--.

The day I got rid of the makita, and bought the 020t was a happy one.

I do quite like the ground saws though, as said though, they are just a little too blue :lol:

Edited by Bolt

Well im a husky man and i have to admit, nothing compares to the 200t when in a tree......would be really interesting if Husky re-design a new tophandle saw to give stihl a run for their money

when i was in sweden last i had a play with the new (only 5 made so far) husqvarna, all i can say is fuel injection!!!!!!!!

I am in need of a new top handled saw having only ever had MS200Ts. Is this stihl the only option or are there alternatives? I've heard the Echo CS-350TES is the next best thing...

a very long winded thread for what is essentially a question you answered in your first post..:001_tt2:

you say" I've heard the Echo CS-350TES is the next best thing."

just by saying this,,, you say yourself that the 200t is the best..

don't fight it.... get another 200t......:thumbup: