Top Handled Saw: Stihl vs Echo vs Husq vs Other?

TimberCutterDartmoor

I've seen a Stihl MS192TC - any good?

I would not want one.

They are lower powered than the 020, and are of a lower build quality.

I would imagine that the difference would be similar to the difference between a 026 and a 023 I know which I would want to use and which would last longer.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would not want one.

They are lower powered than the 020, and are of a lower build quality.

I would imagine that the difference would be similar to the difference between a 026 and a 023 I know which I would want to use and which would last longer.

Thanks for that - I will avoid.

Looks like the MS200T all the way since the Echo, Husky and Makita don't compare on paper let alone in day to day running as witnessed by others here.

:confused1: In what ways?

I love these saws and think there have been some real improvements.

There were some really carb problems for a while, but a decent dealer should have dealt with these, mine did.

I change my 020 each year and the last two have had no problem with the carb.

Over the years I there have been many improvements, IMO,

New caps, no need for a tool to open

Increased power, will now push a 14" bar and chain no problem.

Improved breather on the tank, no more petrol ruining up your sleeve.

:001_smile:

Hello, yes, the plastic used to make the chain break has become more brittle. I have never known a chain break to snap before, that includes on saws dripped out of trees! But over the last few years this has been on the increase, and on saws just parked up against each other in the truck. The breather problem continues, never had any issues with 020s. I gather a few people have had carb problems too. It's still a king amongst saws, so i'm not `dissing' it, I just think Stihl wants to not rest on it's laurels too much.

Well im a husky man and i have to admit, nothing compares to Stihl when cutting down a tree......would be really interesting if Husky re-design all there saws to give stihl a run for their money

Totally agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!:001_cool:

:001_tt2:

I've heard the 192T isn't available in Britain. I have three, love them for the weight and price...bought them all used (2 were like new) I won't run them stock, but with a ported muffler the saw really wakes up, and will just about keep up with a bone stock 200T or 338--in wood under 6 inches or so.

My other one is fully woods ported and a bit faster, but not enough to warrant the $150 it cost for the port work.

As far the the 200T goes, yes it's the best climb saw. But I'm partial to the 338. The new ones have worked out all the bugs, and run very well. They do need to have the muffler ported to really come alive. My current one comes in red and black--the Jonsered 2139T (same saw) and easily beats the 200T, is cheaper, and lighter..not balanced quite as well, true.

Edited by rbtree

Ok, got the quotes in and it goes like this:

Stihl MS200T - 419 quid

Makita DCS3401TH - 253 quid

Echo CS-350T - 287 quid

All inc VAT. Typically my local agent can wriggle the most discount off a Mak and least from a Stihl but that's still 25% off the latter.

A three figure number beginning with a "2" sounds a lot less painful than a "4". Note this saw isn't going to get much use since it will be a backup to my climbers own MS200T...

• 4 weeks later...

yes but after a couple of years another number begining with "2" will be needed!! just go for the stihl and avoid the same mistake others had made including me I have had lots of diferent saws in the past(top handles) and the stihl ms200t is the best.Huskys are a no no in the tree to apoint of being dangeress!!!!!! even tho I am a husky fan they make great ground saws but not top handles