Top Handled Saw: Stihl vs Echo vs Husq vs Other?

TimberCutterDartmoor

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I run a 338 and 200t's i find my self reaching for the stihl most mornings but thats robably 15 years force of habbit...i dont think there is any thing really between the two in terms of power now husky has upped the cc's and ironed out a lot of the faults that where in the initial 335's which were pants in my opinion.

Saying that though my stihl quick release oil cap broke on the 200t when i had 2 extra groundies in and i didnt put a back up saw on on one of my last jobs before x mas wich really made me swear about the stihl again!so im much more likely to be picking up the husky instead in the new year.

The new caps are only a few pounds on ebay matey :)

Saying that though my stihl quick release oil cap broke on the 200t when i had 2 extra groundies in and i didnt put a back up saw on on one of my last jobs before x mas wich really made me swear about the stihl again!so im much more likely to be picking up the husky instead in the new year.

I've never had one of those caps fail, how did it break ?

Ive got the 34cc. Ive been looking at the dcs7901. What are they like

I got the 7901 for 430 quid so it's amazing! Seriously tho, haven't even run it in yet but it seems pretty aggressive. Actually got it due to price / weight / power combination and because my Stihl 036 was a little weak in big Sitka felling I was supposed to be doing this winter; market downturn has meant no cutting for the FC since late November, thus a brand spanking Makita is sitting there with nowt to do.:sad:

I've used all 3 of the saws in the initial post enough to justify why i would only use the Stihl. The Echo was nicknamed the toy town saw by my work colleagues. The build quality is significantly low, although it's lightness is a novelty. It has too many minor bad points to recommend it The Husky on the other hand has too many major bad points to mention here. Suffice to say it is an appalling piece of equipment. Badly balanced, with illogical switch positions and under developed design. Avoid! I had to review this saw once and I spent quite a lot of time weighing it up. I ended up with Tennis and Golf elbow in both arms as a result of the testing.

The MS200T steadily gets worse every year, but is still head and shoulders above anything available. I will be interested/suprised if anyone can recommend any saw above the Stihl.

The MS200T steadily gets worse every year, .

:confused1: In what ways?

I love these saws and think there have been some real improvements.

There were some really carb problems for a while, but a decent dealer should have dealt with these, mine did.

I change my 020 each year and the last two have had no problem with the carb.

Over the years I there have been many improvements, IMO,

New caps, no need for a tool to open

Increased power, will now push a 14" bar and chain no problem.

Improved breather on the tank, no more petrol ruining up your sleeve.

:001_smile: