Lanyard set up

Dog Tag

Hi,

newb here - this is my lanyard - a 4m XP-e Highlight from Edelrid, two Petzl krabs and a Petzl pulley "Fixe" - for the prussic I use an 8mm Gleistein "Inco" prussic cord - I think I'll change to a swabish or distel however as the prussic binds up too much sometimes:

dsc_0192peqn7.jpg

cheers, Philipp :)

Swabische works nice on side strop I don't like it as a main line knot binds up to much.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
What set up do you use?

Rope: diameter - length - type - reasons.

Prussic type: rope- diameter - length - spliced/knots.

pulleys, rings etc.

Pics...

Poison ivy 8m! was in the bargain bin so got one end spliced and decided to sample it.

VT made in 10mm Sirius with fishermans, tried some 8mm op and failed to get the instant grip.

Have a pinto with two ovals along with the vectran loop with thimble.

Would put up an image but have no clue how :)

What set up do you use?

Rope: diameter - length - type - reasons.

Prussic type: rope- diameter - length - spliced/knots.

pulleys, rings etc.

Pics...

This is my lanyard now I climb SRTWP.

5m of 10mm Yale Silversteak.

Trango Cinch.

ISC 3way swivel snap.

When I climbed DdRT:

3m of 13mm XTC.

ISC Rocker.

ISC 3way swivel snap.

This is my lanyard now I climb SRTWP.

5m of 10mm Yale Silversteak.

Trango Cinch.

ISC 3way swivel snap.

When I climbed DdRT:

3m of 13mm XTC.

ISC Rocker.

ISC 3way swivel snap.

Ok I'm gong to waste my 2000th post on this :biggrin:

Why did you feel the need to change just because you changed system,

I've kept my 2.5m lanyard from my Ddrt days I don't use it any differently there for kept the same length :001_smile:

Just curious Ali :thumbup1:

Ok I'm gong to waste my 2000th post on this :biggrin:

Why did you feel the need to change just because you changed system,

I've kept my 2.5m lanyard from my Ddrt days I don't use it any differently there for kept the same length :001_smile:

Just curious Ali :thumbup1:

That's not a wasted post Adam

I didn't feel the need to change lanyard, its been a natural progression for me.

Using SRTWP means it can be a bit tricky getting back from long skinny branch walks, as you know. I got fed up using RADS to help and found that a long lanyard choked to a branch above creates another SRTWP system. The Cinch works perfectly for this. I chose the Cinch because its smaller and cheaper than a Grillon.

A DMM thimble on a Prussik loop enables easy retrieving as I don't have to choke up to the branch if I can't reach it.

A longer lanyard trailing about is more hassle but the very second Ropetek start selling the Sidewinder, I'll be getting one to deal with that problem.

That's not a wasted post Adam

I didn't feel the need to change lanyard, its been a natural progression for me.

Using SRTWP means it can be a bit tricky getting back from long skinny branch walks, as you know. I got fed up using RADS to help and found that a long lanyard choked to a branch above creates another SRTWP system. The Cinch works perfectly for this. I chose the Cinch because its smaller and cheaper than a Grillon.

A DMM thimble on a Prussik loop enables easy retrieving as I don't have to choke up to the branch if I can't reach it.

A longer lanyard trailing about is more hassle but the very second Ropetek start selling the Sidewinder, I'll be getting one to deal with that problem.

With you now but my style I've never felt the need for anything longer, although I have thought about getting the CE lanyard in the 5m length, :biggrin:

Thanks mate

would be interesting to see the results of drop tests of dynamic v's non dynamic on a cinch-when used as a lanyard (not as a belay point).

just googled it and found this:

Our experience showed that if the same test is performed using low stretch rope in the Cinch, the device is likely to fail, not that the rope will be severed.

Trango have communicated clearly in their user instructions i.e. that dynamic lines should be used. There is an increased risk to the user if low stretch lines are adopted, both in terms of higher arrest forces and device failure.

2 metres is a very large fall (which in trees is unlikely to be obstacle free), and 7.4kN is an arrest force that may not be survivable. Just because our gear may be able to endure these tests unscathed, it doesn't mean that humans can. Better to identify and manage 'potential fall distance' i.e. minimise slack.

TreeMagineers

Edited by DrewB
googled my own question