Agricultural Occupancy condition

Rick2517

Hi Guys,

I have been doing a bit of research into buying a property which is under a Agricultural Occupancy condition. I am no expert in this field and I am struggling to get any straight answers by searching on-line so thought I would start this thread to see if anybody has delt or looked into this before.

My situation is this: I have a small tree surgery firm based in Bristol I employ 3 men inc myself and we currently rent yard space in a local farm, My dream scenario would be to by a property to live and run the business from, I have came across a fantastic looking house with just about enough land to run our business from and I am wondering if our trade "tree surgery" will comply with the Agricultural Occupancy condition? also as this property has this condition I am assuming that there are no problems with running our business in terms of noise pollution and everything els that us noisy and messy arb guys get up to in the yard (storing chip and logs etc...)

I am suspecting that there may be a clause as the business is not "farming a crop" on the land so I was wondering if I was to begin growing/farming a crop of Christmas trees would this qualify??

any thoughts/advise would be greatly appreciated and may benefit allot of other guys on here thinking of taking advantage of the perks of our trade!!

Many thanks in advance Rich

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Depends on the local interference brigade. Fewer people now work in agriculture due to mechanisation. Therefore it is a problem getting occupants/buyers.I know if you are retired from farming it still counts as agricultural occupant.

A good way is if it "Looks like a farm. " I.e sheep or poultry in field etc. Therefore you can rent the land for grazing and not have the hassle of farming. If you go through the correct channels, it will likely not work in your favour. I know a case were the non farming occupants were forced to put on the market their property but it never sold so they stayed put.

But an arrogant I can make noise in my yard won't wear well.

Yep all about the wording.

Go down the tree root, if anything at least you will have some Xmas trees to sell.

Farm I used to work for had this when he brought another farm, one of the workers moved into it.

As far as I have seen forestry and agriculture come under the same class.

Hi rich i am pretty sure if you buy a house with a agriculture occupancy you have to keep livestock,but you could keep a couple of pigs to get over restrictions and you would probably have to still have planning for the business if you keep logs ,woodchip over 12 months.but not 100 percent sure, the farmer would be able to tell you more .

It depends how it is worded, so you need to find out exactly what it says. But in my experience of these, forestry was covered - so if you use the correct words you could well be in with a shout.

I also know of someone who works on oil rigs who does because the clause was badly worded. it said the owner had to work on the land so he did christmas trees, and that covered it for him.

A couple i know were intresed in buying a house with the same, they enquired and were told by someone in the planning offices to buy 7 chickens and sell the eggs at their gate. This would qualify them for Agricultural occupancy.

Hi rich i am pretty sure if you buy a house with a agriculture occupancy you have to keep livestock,but you could keep a couple of pigs to get over restrictions and you would probably have to still have planning for the business if you keep logs ,woodchip over 12 months.but not 100 percent sure, the farmer would be able to tell you more .

Depends if he put himself as livestock farming or arable farming.

Not sure tree surgery can be classed as forestry. Although I did see someone call it urban forestry when I first started on this site. :thumbup:

Have you looked into mortgages yet? (assuming you need one)

You'll have a nightmare trying to find a company to take it on if there are any agricultural ties... You won't get the best rates, and the only option my financial guy could find, was a commercial mortgage at around 7% if i remember rightly!

Best of luck with it!