how much are you paying ground workers?

shillo

Hi all. i am new to employing staff, just wondering what the going rate is for groundworkers. i am currently paying him by the hour which is working out to 340 per week average and i have still got to pay him 5.6 weeks holiday pay.Is this too much? or am i just being tight?? i was thinking of paying him on a per week basis but im not sure about it all. My eyes just glaze over when the accountant starts talking!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all. i am new to employing staff, just wondering what the going rate is for groundworkers. i am currently paying him by the hour which is working out to 340 per week average and i have still got to pay him 5.6 weeks holiday pay.Is this too much? or am i just being tight?? i was thinking of paying him on a per week basis but im not sure about it all. My eyes just glaze over when the accountant starts talking!

That's £68/day. I wouldn't work for that, but if he's happy with it then all good. And remember, if you're charging him out at £140/day (which you should be) when pricing jobs, then he's putting money in your pocket. Rather than faff around with hours, paying him on a weekly basis will be much simpler. And don't begrudge him holiday pay.

Guess it depends on where you live and age. £68 a day in the south is fairly tight though plenty of people get just than.... If you want to keep him motivated and productive on that rate, maybe think on other ways to give him something back. Most employees seem to respond well to training.

That's £68/day. I wouldn't work for that, but if he's happy with it then all good. And remember, if you're charging him out at £140/day (which you should be) when pricing jobs, then he's putting money in your pocket. Rather than faff around with hours, paying him on a weekly basis will be much simpler. And don't begrudge him holiday pay.

Wouldn't work for 68 pound a day

Well i wouldn't mind working for that

Sent from my GT-S5830i using Tapatalk 2

Wouldn't work for 68 pound a day

Well i wouldn't mind working for that

Sent from my GT-S5830i using Tapatalk 2

If it was £68 TAKE HOME, i.e. after tax, NI, etc and with paid holidays, paid sick, decent workwear supplied, etc.... then I might consider it. But £68 gross... nah. Not enough to feed the family and pay the bills. I'd be able to make more door knocking!

There's groundies, and there's groundies.

Bottom end of the pay scale is dragging brash from A-B etc., no chipping, no snedding etc.

Top end is running a job, liaising with customers, running complex rigging, winching, driving/operating/caring for your machinery, giving good advice, making sure you don't die in the tree etc.

I pay mine £100/day SE for all this, and I would like to pay him more if the market would stand it.

He brings his own jobs to me which we split 50/50, so he does ok, but I still feel the skilled, hardworking groundies role is undervalued.

I've worked for firms paying 'groundies' £30/day, but they were lazy little hoodrats slurping Redbull, smoking, and texting their mates how they waz bizzy grarftin.

More info about your groundies role would help.

My regular guy gets £80 but generally more if the day is late etc.but all ground workers are not equal, mine is very good and also my best friend however, he has B+E and drives the vehicles well, can do a little climbing always very polite and extremely resourceful and mechanically minded, moans loads but always comes through, if I make it to getting established he'll be on good money !

Furthermore after reading Marks post I realise all the other things I take for granted until the odd day when he is in available he knows how to set up a proper rigging kit and how to manage the ropes reminisce shock loading and so on, I can also send him out with the truck and grinder to crack on with a days grinding on his own or other ground based jobs with no worries.

Value you're Groundy as when you hire in another and they don't know how to do things the way you like you'll realise how much you miss/needed your previous one !

Edited by Billy