Shipping MS660 to OZ - best stuff for really, really cleaning saws

Rowan the Bruce

Hi Guys I am moving to OZ soon, I want to ship out two big saws with the rest of our household stuff. The customs will require empty fuel/oil tanks and no trace of any sawdust, resin or fuel. Basically it needs to look brand new. I am in a Phytophthera ramorum and kernowviae area and also DED does not exist out there either.

So how to solve this problem - useful chemicals, steam clean (problems with electrical components?) err um? :confused1:

Any advise would be totally awesome dudes!

Hi Guys I am moving to OZ soon, I want to ship out two big saws with the rest of our household stuff. The customs will require empty fuel/oil tanks and no trace of any sawdust, resin or fuel. Basically it needs to look brand new. I am in a Phytophthera ramorum and kernowviae area and also DED does not exist out there either.

So how to solve this problem - useful chemicals, steam clean (problems with electrical components?) err um? :confused1:

Any advise would be totally awesome dudes!

Ethanol or isopropanol alcohol dissolves resin and chain oil and disinfects by dissolving organic cells (bacteria/fungus). Furthermore, it will be "safe" to use on plastics, rubber and electrical components of the saw.

Some claim that it need to be dissolved to 70% for best disinfectant properties, see

- Why is 70 percent alcohol a better disinfectant than 100 percent alcohol

- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disinfectant#Alcohols

Apply it using a "window spray" bottle.

Edited by morten

Hi Rowan,

I would suggest that you ask the Australian Customs what do they EXACTLY require. Just "VERY CLEAN" or "STERILE". Alcohols will disinfect, but not sterilise. If they want it sterile, you would need to strip the large bits down and after really getting them clean ask a friendly local hospital to sterilise each saw and the bits in Ethylene Oxide bag. Ethylene Oxide is a gas, and it comes as a liquid in a sealed ampule. The liquid rapidly becomes a gas as soon as the glass ampule is broken in the sealed airtight plastic bag. It takes 24 hours to sterilise the contents of each bag. It is routinely used to sterilise delicate or electronic operating equipment and instruments that cannot be put through a steam autoclave. There are special test strips that can certify that the instruments in the bag are sterile. As long as the bag is still properly sealed and certified by the hospital.

Hope this is of some help, and cutoms only require clean saws. Peter

Thanks for that Peter, I reckon spraying with something that stinks of cleaning chemicals will perhaps do after getting the cotton buds out.

Steve I reckon I'd look a bit dodgy opening my suitcase and declaring a Husky and a Stihl to Brisbane customs officers. However when they open the container at the dock and see the word 'Chainsaws' inspection will definitely follow - now for every minute of that inspection we will be charged, if they decide the items need to be fumigated or heat treated we will be charged a lot!

So you see how important it is to get it right in the first place.

Anyone know if steam cleaning a saw would bugger it?

Australian customs are pretty rigerous - well worth some extra time to clean them properly. Maybe attack with some rubbing alcohol and a rag? Not sure about steam cleaning since it will be sat in a sweaty container for at least 50 days. Maybe also partially strip them? That way, if they get the arse about something they don't wreck the whole thing if they clean it (a lesson I learned the hard way)

• 1 year later...