Climbing with a saw in type A's

Arran Turner

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i were sip typ a, only were mi typ c, wen mi others are in the wash,& they only get washed wen i dont need them :biggrin: & the down side is the straps on me spkes are a bad fit on mi stretch airs typ c :thumbdown:

& why the feck would i want to put a high speed wood cutting tool any wer near thar back of mi legs ,dont u need to be double jointed or stuipid confused1:beats the hell out of me :001_tongue:

When i started, we wore shorts and boots (In Auckland) and in 25 years have seen one cut in a tree, Mad Dog Phil cut his foot... I have worn out and torn god knows how many pairs of pants.... never anywhere near cutting them...

As has been said I think its perfectly acceptable if it is justified in your risk assessment. I think you'll find most college leavers will have type C's because a lot of lecturers don't like to see students in a's.

I have hiflexs atm and find them less restrictive than my basic stihl type a's ... just as happy in either up a tree, though I won't be getting hiflex again because a dirty look from a blade of grass seems to rip them :sneaky2:

There has to be some room for personal comfort otherwise we'd all be climbing in protective jackets, and I'm yet to meet anyone who climbs in these. Just be aware if you do wear type a's that brushing up against limbs etc can cause the trousers to twist meaning the protection may not actually be at the front. But I think with any trousers the most important thing is to have the mentality that they are not there to make swinging a saw close to your leg acceptable.

I know people from college that have surface cuts on their boots where they constantly take the pee with a saw and occasionally clip themselves on run down ... only 1 thing is going to happen in your career if thats how you work I feel :thumbdown:

A's for me, god knows I struggle enough to drag my unfit ar&e up there as it is....

But then I always kill the saw when it's hanging from a strop, and I always aim for nice work positioning where I can sit in my harness and use the saw in front of me... so if there comes a time when I need to protect the back of my legs then it's definitely time for me to put all my gear on eBay and quit while I'm ahead... and not a headless corpse...

As has been said I think its perfectly acceptable if it is justified in your risk assessment. I think you'll find most college leavers will have type C's because a lot of lecturers don't like to see students in a's.

I have hiflexs atm and find them less restrictive than my basic stihl type a's ... just as happy in either up a tree, though I won't be getting hiflex again because a dirty look from a blade of grass seems to rip them :sneaky2:

There has to be some room for personal comfort otherwise we'd all be climbing in protective jackets, and I'm yet to meet anyone who climbs in these. Just be aware if you do wear type a's that brushing up against limbs etc can cause the trousers to twist meaning the protection may not actually be at the front. But I think with any trousers the most important thing is to have the mentality that they are not there to make swinging a saw close to your leg acceptable.

I know people from college that have surface cuts on their boots where they constantly take the pee with a saw and occasionally clip themselves on run down ... only 1 thing is going to happen in your career if thats how you work I feel :thumbdown:

From experience it seems college lecturers actually suggest type c trousers for novice climbers (learners) as.... It is highly recommended by the HSE. If the HSE highly recommends something.... I feel it would be unlikely and foolhardy for a lecturer in there position of responsibility to suggest not wearing type c when climbing. Imagine in the event of an unfortunate accident??

That said.... the HSE do actually state that: Where wearing Type C is impractical (e.g. because of the higher risk of heat stress), it may be appropriate to use Type A, where justified by risk assessment.

Chainsaw Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)

I think it may be best for a novice climber to make his first mistake wearing as much protection as possible.... Live to tell the tale and learn from his error.

I prey we do not suddenly see news reports of inexperienced climbers with leg injuries which could have been prevented by wearing type c.....