Atlas Cedar loosing needles all of a sudden?

MATTMOSS

Obviously its not possible to remove infected material as the whole tree is affected.

ta matt

Even if you can't move out all the dead needles, it would still help to remove as many as possible. Start at the top and shake and brush away all the dead needles and twigs possible. This crown cleaning will get more light and air in to discourage fungal activity, as well as dramatically improving appearance.

Then bury or burn all the fallen debris. If disease is caused by excess moisture then too much mulch can worsen matters.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a thought, but Atlas cedars are native of a climate much hotter and drier than here. Perhaps the total surface area of the leaves is not enough to cope with transpiring all of the water and movement upwards from the roots has not coped with demand and effectively banged out symptoms of waterlogging. What are the root tips like? I'm probably wrong. Feel free to shoot me down.

Lee have you experienced good results?

I did a large Quercus Ilex that was defoliating for no apparent reason,the results were very good, I generally use a bio-stimulant when decompacting, i'm always happy with the results. I wish I did more the trouble is however cheap you are in these tough times no ones willing to pay..

Aerated compost teas are well proven these days, there's lots on the net about ''microherds'' Buxton Hollow Farm

Lee, out of interest do you revisit these trees to re-apply more compost tea a year or 2 later? I am wondering if the new flush of foliage is a temporary response to the treatment or whether it can have long lasting results.

I recently did a visit of some local trees I treated some time ago, and tbh they all looked to be in good health, but to answer your question no I haven't re-treated any with compost tea. I'd like to treat more trees with phytophthora etc.

Whether my good results were from the compost tea or from the decompaction I really don't know, I hazard a guess at both

Interesting ideas, ill look into this.

Probably not practical on a large scale but definitley on individual specimen trees in private gardens.

Thanks M

Hi Matt its more than practical on a large scale, farms in the USA are using compost teas on decent size acreage and cutting down of artificial fert, we have the technology :laugh1: