Mounting a ladder as a guide bar for the Alaskan

morten

• 2 weeks later...

• 5 years later...

I setup a ladder today using a similar system. 

I was about 2/3 of the way along the log and there was a lot of vibration in the ladder and I had to get my mate to hold it steady to finish the cut. Not quite sure why. Does that happen for anyone else?

Now wondering if I should think of a system that clamps further down the log so the ladder is continually held in place, rather than what it is attached to being cut off

cheers

40 minutes ago, stewmo said:

I setup a ladder today using a similar system. 

I was about 2/3 of the way along the log and there was a lot of vibration in the ladder and I had to get my mate to hold it steady to finish the cut. Not quite sure why. Does that happen for anyone else?

Now wondering if I should think of a system that clamps further down the log so the ladder is continually held in place, rather than what it is attached to being cut off

cheers

Did you pack the ladder out all along its length or just support it at the ends? I tended to have at least 4 points of contact between the log and ladder then tested the gaps to see if there was any movement. If there was more packing and wedges went in. 

Some slats of wood screwed down with long wood screws are then needed to secure the ladder to the log obviously on the rungs and below the flush of where your Mill will slide along. Just remember to set your first cut below the depth of where your deepest screws are. I found that out the hard way. 

Did you pack the ladder out all along its length or just support it at the ends? I tended to have at least 4 points of contact between the log and ladder then tested the gaps to see if there was any movement. If there was more packing and wedges went in. 

Some slats of wood screwed down with long wood screws are then needed to secure the ladder to the log obviously on the rungs and below the flush of where your Mill will slide along. Just remember to set your first cut below the depth of where your deepest screws are. I found that out the hard way. 

Yeah it was just at the ends. Makes sense what you’re saying.
Thanks
  • Like 1