My New Business!

ClimbingNev

Very nice set up and i applaud your ambition to be a top class outfit.

Just one question, it's not a criticism but i'm interested to know why your a member of the guide of master craftsman. I ask because the only tree firms around me that advertise this are always the pikki's. Do they do any checks on your standard of works?

Anyway, wish you all the best for the future.

Ed

In reply to your question' and I really must be quite careful what I say now......well , why not:

I have been doing this job 16 years. When I started my first harness was an actual parachute harness with no leg loops! As I have worked and learnt I have seen a big shift in the industry towards proffesionalism and pride in our science! In-keeping with the spirit I am keen for my clients to see that the company is all about transparent competence. E.T.C can,t become an AA approved contractor until we have been trading for 2 years, regardless of the experience of the employees. So in the absence of any code to advertise that we try to follow (the arb association prohibits the use of it's logo to anyone, even a logo of membership to it's members unless you are a approved contractor!) we are forced to do the next best thing. Membership of the guild shows that you have at least satisfied the criteria of checkable references, qualifications, experience, insurance and company status! All of which are checked properly by the way! I am proud of the company membership to the guild and it did not come easily! Or cheaply! and the only reason I got it for the company was that I had 5 checkable references to prove I had been a head climber and foreman for over 8 years and had qualifications and experience, and had run crews at 2 of the Yorkshire AA approved outfits in my employment history. If you are seeing ****** running round as members I would check their details shown on their van against the guild list! Probably just using the logo without permission. If not they must be either ok or at least used to be? My experience with the guild is all good?

Edited by skyhuck
language

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did the guild thing 5 years ago and it was very easy to get, just another company making money for letting you have a logo. the referals are easy to get and the checks very basic. i did one year and sacked it but each to there own.

very nice pro set up there well done and i wish you luck, you will need some in these tight times and with the amount of competition round york and Leeds you will be up against it from the off.

Guild of master craftsmen is a waste of time IMO been there never again.

Yeh I know what you mean. It's a means whilst I get the logos I want! better than none. I also know what you mean being up against it, that is why the big money into logos, insurance, subscriptions, branding, company appearance and advertising.....we need all the firm foundation we can get and we need to be a cut above from the start!

Thanks for answering my question. That does surprise me that theres a lot more involved than sending your cheque off. The local firms must be using the logo unauthorised because they have never been interested in doing quality work.

I'm sure you probably know this already but you could be a member of ISA and display their logo or alternatively do as i do and just state that you are an associate member of the ArbAssoc- without displaying their logo. I also hope to be a full AA member in the next two years.

Well folks The time has come to announce the opening of my new business!

Expert Tree Care Limited has opened for business in York and is the product of 16 years in the industry!

Visit my make-shift web-site at YORK TREE SURGEON, the site is being re-designed and new pics and content launched at the event I am about to announce.

The launch event is on the 16th August 2012 at Oaken Grove Community Center, Haxby, York. All my arboricultural mates here on arbtalk are welcome to attend if it is convenient. Just visit Expert Tree Care Ltd Contact Us and confirm you are attending and the numbers if you are coming!

Anyway have a gander at the pics of the van and please like my facebook and twitter pages!

Steve B please get in touch as there are several corporate entities representing at the event and I would love to have arbtalk there either in person or in the form of some promo material that can be laid out. The press are going to be there as well as local college Askham Bryan, Tree Officers from Leeds CC, York CC, Easingwold Town Council, Ryedale Council, Hambleton Council, Orange Plant, The Green Pages, Landmark Trading etc, etc so would be a shame not to have something there. I aim for Expert Tree Care Ltd to be AA approved within 4 years, we employ 3 people already and the big emphasis is on quality tree work, continued education and familiarity with industry best practice and above and beyond care of all our employees!

Wish us luck everyone and ALL feedback, even negative is warmly welcomed!

Chris. :thumbup1:

Welcome to Arbtalk mate.

I like your shoes, and I will have them eventually. I love them pointy-ish shoes, I do.

Guild is waste of money these days. If you're going to pay for something then it's worth paying for something where you will get plenty of good advertising in return. Check-a-trade is the way to go. They do more proper checks than anyone, they check up on your customer feedback, they advertise for you, and it's what Joe Public looks for nowadays. Ask most people what "Guild of Master Craftsmen" means to them and they won't have a clue. And the reps will sign just about anyone up so they get their commission - they even signed up a mate of mine who is as far from a "crasftsman" as you can get. He can connybash though :biggrin:

Apart from that, great set up there and I wish you well in getting a good return on your investment :thumbup1:

Welcome to Arbtalk mate.

I like your shoes, and I will have them eventually. I love them pointy-ish shoes, I do.

Cheers, I should point out that although my post average is low I have been a member since 2008. The welcome to arbtalk happened a few years ago. Anyway if you desire pointy ish shoes then go for it. I did and look at me now! Pointy ish and loving it, I aint never looked back dude! :thumbup: