is a 70hp tractor up to the task??

Matthew Storrs

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Matt,

I've got a 7245 and i've had it for 18 years. Good tractor and rarely lets me down but the brakes can sometimes be unreliable on older Zetors. Also, if it's old enough to have a column gear shift like a 5748 I used to have, they like to jump out of 3rd gear when going down hill. Having said that, I still wouldn't hesitate to get another Zetor.

• 3 years later...

I would quite happily stick a 5 ton trailer preferably braked on my 684 if its on hard ground. (684 is just newer version of the 674) I wouldn't want to go anymore than 6 ton.

Just make sure your brakes are tip top and not got the usual ih issues of leaky o rings etc.

Will quite merrily pull an unbraked 3-4 ton trailer around all day long.

I would quite happily stick a 5 ton trailer preferably braked on my 684 if its on hard ground. (684 is just newer version of the 674) I wouldn't want to go anymore than 6 ton.

Just make sure your brakes are tip top and not got the usual ih issues of leaky o rings etc.

Will quite merrily pull an unbraked 3-4 ton trailer around all day long.

Cheers mate good advice, the tractor ive got had a sort of overhaul but stilll needs a few little touch ups, the brakes are the one thing on it that are quite sound where as the other ones aren't as great. I sooke to freind and he said he had an 8ton/ 10 ton trailer on the road with his, fully loaded with logs from tree jobs, that seemed a bit too much to me??

Cheers mate good advice, the tractor ive got had a sort of overhaul but stilll needs a few little touch ups, the brakes are the one thing on it that are quite sound where as the other ones aren't as great. I sooke to freind and he said he had an 8ton/ 10 ton trailer on the road with his, fully loaded with logs from tree jobs, that seemed a bit too much to me??

Well rather he than me :001_rolleyes:

Im nearing the end of a fair restoration on mine.. I certainly wouldn't stick a trailer like that on one! I would think hes over estimating given the size of a 10 ton trailer as thats a fair twin axled beast plus the ability to stop. Ive had a few pucker moments dreying a 10 t trailer with a tw120 4wd let alone a 67hp 2wd.

Well rather he than me :001_rolleyes:

Im nearing the end of a fair restoration on mine.. I certainly wouldn't stick a trailer like that on one! I would think hes over estimating given the size of a 10 ton trailer as thats a fair twin axled beast plus the ability to stop. Ive had a few pucker moments dreying a 10 t trailer with a tw120 4wd let alone a 67hp 2wd.

Mmmmh , but you drive like you stole it or are you a gear down rev down man??

To be bad and judge you on your avatar you could be the clarkson kind

"POWER!!"

Only winding you up. I don't know how to soothe the tone with smiley faces on the iPhone app!

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a John Deere 2140 recently. An extremely versatile machine that is proving to be superb at every task I throw at it. It was cheap, 82hp is plenty, the SG2 cab is roomy enough for me, spares are abundant and not expensive, but most importantly the nearest local agricultural engineer is a John Deere man. I think this is the crux of tractor selection: if you are relying on the machine to do work for your income, make sure you check out the local spares and servicing facilities before buying. I have heard that Zetors are tough and reliable but if your nearest engineer / source of spares is a distance away it might not be the best choice.

The only criticism I ever heard about the more modern Zetors is that the large areas of cab glass are vulnerable in woodland / forestry situations. That stated, every tractor has its problems. Front axle on the JD 40 series are known to be a weak spot - I knew this was a potential problem before I bought mine but at least I know I can get it fixed quickly, locally, if anything goes wrong.

Last little bit of advice: horsepower is the capacity to do work. The more hp you have available, the more work your tractor can safely do.

Good luck,

Chris