is a 70hp tractor up to the task??

Matthew Storrs

Im hoping someone with experiance in tractors can set me straight. im considering purchasing a 70hp 4x4 tractor (zetor). How would this cope pulling 4 ton and running a post driver weighting 900kg on the rear linkage. these are the two main tasks it would be assigned to do.

Im quite keen on this size tractor as its better on diesel and will work well with the narrow devon lanes and gateways we get around here.

Just be keen to know how capable it is of the above?

thanks, Matt

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im hoping someone with experiance in tractors can set me straight. im considering purchasing a 70hp 4x4 tractor (zetor). How would this cope pulling 4 ton and running a post driver weighting 900kg on the rear linkage. these are the two main tasks it would be assigned to do.

Im quite keen on this size tractor as its better on diesel and will work well with the narrow devon lanes and gateways we get around here.

thanks, Matt

Hi Matt I would have thought she would cope fine with that sort of task, though 900kg on the back you might want to consider a rack of weights on the front even if it is 4x4. :thumbup1:

Check what the linkage will lift on a tractor data site. I'd of thought it would be fine but as said you'll want a few weights on the front. Our 390 would lift the 1000kg chipper but even if the weights on the front the steering was shall we say light.

Check what the linkage will lift on a tractor data site. I'd of thought it would be fine but as said you'll want a few weights on the front. Our 390 would lift the 1000kg chipper but even if the weights on the front the steering was shall we say light.

HI CUTTER what a tractor the mf390 3 stick ones there one of the best 80/90hp out there but you need a 3 stick there the best not the 12 speed ones jon :thumbup:

hi matt, tractor will be fine, good choice as well done a fair bit with a two wheel drive 70 hp zetor coped well with 8 ton dump trailer, powered a pto driven chipper and side arm flail mower. cabs are massive and nice and easy tractor to maintain, some even have an air compressor on side of engine.very underated tractor. cheers.

thanks, Matt

Yea spot on tractors we have had 2 or 3 in past with loaders on when we had 200 cows took alot of work with ease.

Would of thought you would be fine upto about 8 tonne on back. Will defo want weights on front other thing with knocker will be when you have it out to the left or right having a set of weights on your knocker the opposite side to the weight. We welded a weight frame to our protech this year and what a differance its made when working over the side keeps it more stable and we have a mx110 on our knocker so would imagine a little zetor would be worse. The air compressor is the best thing though :thumbup:

Will be fine we run a a 785xl 4x4 Nash with parmiter post driver and pull a 6ton trailer with botex no problems. We also move the spaltfix log processor around our site with it but that really makes it situp abit even with weights and water ballast in the tyres. You can't beat a zetor with a sh1tty stick they really are a good machine but spares are getting rare and expensive because their all going to eastern block countries. I'm looking for a 3045 4x4 to put winch on the back myself!!

Here is our Zetor of about 70hp, pulls our timber trailer no problem, sometimes we are traveling 8 miles loaded up and down hill, we power a 10 inch chipper with it and winch with it, it handles all these tasks very well, good on fuel and parts are cheap and easy to get. I would buy Zetor again.

5976614fe6f74_2012-05-0614_24_24.jpg.20f919536969df1501ae68e4d9c908f4.jpg

DSC01113.jpg.b35421ee5299d9f65daab4a6b4196b9d.jpg

cheers for feedback chaps, im definiately set on zetor for the reason that my dad has always had them and they seem decent solid tractors and very good value. There is one selling locally to me at the mo a 7045 old Y reg. As I understand it a big postdriver may be a bit weighty for it on slopes but It will mainly be used for pulling a 3 ton digger with postdriver on the digger so probs not more then 4 ton in total. Unfortunatly it doesn't have a loader at the mo. but shouldnt be too hard to fit one at a later date?