Help id this saw please

dave346

Curiosity got the better of me last night and i bought this and two other saws off the devil that is ebay last night. It caught my eye as it looked like a 090 in the photos so stuck in a cheeky bid and won. Now not sure what i've got? Serial plate says 1106 which with limited google searching i believe could be a contra. Not really going to be sure til i strip it down but thought i'd see if any of you guys could tell me more from the photos

Thanks dave

IMG_00000054.jpg.eb89b3943fb11fac020d632a82588695.jpg

IMG_00000053.jpg.3ed4fbe704e6fc5cb9793a077035b776.jpg

IMG_00000052.jpg.0763aa2f9c8a9b669b1be95d6c244451.jpg

IMG_00000051.jpg.fa3997838d8f47d95e1c24304b28dfbe.jpg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats confirmed what i was thinking. Looks like it could be a pig to restore, the top covers alone seem to be like hens teeth to find. All in all quite happy though. Got this a husky 142 (fresh fuel and new started cord and was running) and a random sachs for £51. Find of the year me thinks:laugh1:

• 1 month later...

It's a Contra, which is basically an 070 without a decompression valve (not the Contra Lightning which was the 090 forerunner). You can tell from the flywheel cover.

The top covers can often be had new from Germany for a reasonable price - search ebay worldwide.

Alec

• 1 year later...

Well dug it out the shed a couple of days ago and took it into work to let the mechanic have a play with it and see if he could get it going. 3 and a half hours later it runs like a good un :biggrin:

Now i do have to order a few bits for it, needs a carb kit because one of the gauze bits was soaked in a sort of red paint? it need a new front handle and obiously a top cover. I have found all the bits i need on the german ebay but was wondering if anyone could tell me how the top cover attaches to the saw, there is a clip at the back of the saw but nothing at the front? Does it just slide into the fins on the outside of the cylinder or do i need to find and order another clip of some sort? Any pictures of the front of oneof these would be great.

Thanks for the help so far :thumbup1:

Yeah thats what i did earlier to make me think that there should be a clip on the front but couldnt make out if there was or not? Had another look at the cylinder and couldnt see where it might go :confused1:

Dont know what i'll do with it now? Even looking at new cylinders for it, there isnt a clip on it? Was hoping a helpful arbtalker mght have one so i could see a close up front view