Home sharpening timber wolf blades

goodfeller

I know nothing of chippers but plentiful of experience with sharpening. The Tormek will leave a hollow grind. This makes it very easy to hone the tip if a finer finish to the edge is required. A good diamond sharpening stone would leave a lovely finish on those blades.

Edited by Woodworks

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably because its 150 quids worth of kit as opposed to 10k worth of grinder.

I couldn't bothered as re grinds are so cheap these days .

I send my blades back to get hollow ground and the come back like new, I have four sets of blades and just keep rotating them. Each to their own. As TW have said on here the makers advise hollow ground blades for a reason.

Sent from Outerspace.

I send my blades back to get hollow ground and the come back like new, I have four sets of blades and just keep rotating them. Each to their own. As TW have said on here the makers advise hollow ground blades for a reason.

Sent from Outerspace.

I do the same with my gm blades, have 5 sets and send 4 away at a time costs nowt really for a proper job.

I would not presume just because you send they blades to a professional for sharpening that you will get a pro job. I recently had to help out a friend who's 30" wide planer was not working as it should. I looked at the blades and they had been overheated and were not ground straight. They complained but the next set were just as bad. In the end they bought a large Wadkin NQ grinder to do all the sharpening on site. The planer is now working better than it ever has.

I am not saying all Pros do a bad job just that it is no guarantee of a quality job.

I would not presume just because you send they blades to a professional for sharpening that you will get a pro job. I recently had to help out a friend who's 30" wide planer was not working as it should. I looked at the blades and they had been overheated and were not ground straight. They complained but the next set were just as bad. In the end they bought a large Wadkin NQ grinder to do all the sharpening on site. The planer is now working better than it ever has.

I am not saying all Pros do a bad job just that it is no guarantee of a quality job.

I dont but if there wrong or fail for what ever reason its not down to me on such a critical item.

without sounding a bit thick, when re sharpening with a grinding wheel, as the wheel wears doesn't the concave edge get tighter? my local dealer wants £18 plus vat a set to sharpen, I got a mate who does mine their ground flat but seem to work fine.