Home sharpening timber wolf blades

goodfeller

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timberwolf blades should be hollow ground to and angle of 40 degrees, parallel along the complete length of the blade but not beyond the wear limit line.

The hollow ground aspect assists the chipping into the fan area for optimum ejection.

It is acceptable to flat grind the blades to a 40 degree angle but this may reduce the chippers effectiveness and put additional stress on the rotor bearings.

All good blade sharpening companies will have the facilty to hollow ground blades and Timberwolf would recomend this type of grinding to take place on our blades, thus keeping to the tested design :thumbup1:

Timberwolf blades should be hollow ground to and angle of 40 degrees, parallel along the complete length of the blade but not beyond the wear limit line.

The hollow ground aspect assists the chipping into the fan area for optimum ejection.

It is acceptable to flat grind the blades to a 40 degree angle but this may reduce the chippers effectiveness and put additional stress on the rotor bearings.

All good blade sharpening companies will have the facilty to hollow ground blades and Timberwolf would recomend this type of grinding to take place on our blades, thus keeping to the tested design :thumbup1:

Thanks for that, I knew there was a reason.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I bought the jig for the Tormek from Aird & co in Brighton for £125 all in and had a go today at a couple of pairs of blades :thumbup1:

The set you can see part sharpened were the set in the machine when I bought it but must have been sharpened by hand :thumbdown:.

The jig takes a couple of minutes to set up and although time consuming (30 minutes to do a really ruff pair) works really well.

I could remove the very fine chips left but then I would loose steel so 99% is good enough.

Both blades are exactly equal so no issues with balance and the system is water cooled so produces 0 heat, so no worries about loosing the temper of the steel.

5976616cc6baf_tormek012.JPG.914235ac70e7e4a6be54a26b3e563b60.JPG

5976616cc09f3_tormek006.jpg.5be7c25c08a7be4978d0bd4a82b17c99.jpg

5976616cbcca2_tormek004.JPG.bdb714ce65f456149deda9aaca099a12.JPG

5976616cb5b75_tormek001.JPG.172dec8c855723ebfa9c78406dfd02e4.JPG

• 11 months later...
Well I bought the jig for the Tormek from Aird & co in Brighton for £125 all in and had a go today at a couple of pairs of blades :thumbup1:

The set you can see part sharpened were the set in the machine when I bought it but must have been sharpened by hand :thumbdown:.

The jig takes a couple of minutes to set up and although time consuming (30 minutes to do a really ruff pair) works really well.

I could remove the very fine chips left but then I would loose steel so 99% is good enough.

Both blades are exactly equal so no issues with balance and the system is water cooled so produces 0 heat, so no worries about loosing the temper of the steel.

They don't look as clean ground as when done on a proper hollow finding machine though.

Sent from Outerspace.

They don't look as clean ground as when done on a proper hollow finding machine though.

Sent from Outerspace.

Probably because its 150 quids worth of kit as opposed to 10k worth of grinder.

I couldn't bothered as re grinds are so cheap these days .