quals and visa's (Oz n NZ)

Dak

Hey there folks,

Anyone in OZ or NZ tell me what the crack is re. quals and visa's.

Iv'e been told that they aren't too bothered for working holidays but what about longer term?

Would ISA Cert Arb do? Is there any preference from employers?

Any information would be appreciated,

Many thanks in advance

:)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check with NZQA first would be my advice. They don't reckognize a lot of the UK quals, especially if they are the older type. City and Guilds would be one and the NPTC wasn't reckognized either.

Long term, e.g. for residency applications, qualifications are definately a help. Immigration will require a 3 year college course, diploma or similar. Cert in arb isn't usually enough unless you have some decent work experience, 5 years plus at least. The other option if you're short on the qualifications required, is to get on to the work to residency category or alternatively cross credit what you do have with a similar certificate here in NZ. Any papers you are short on you can sit here. Some employers will even help with costs.

As far as employers go; they aren't usually too fussed about quals though they can be advantagous sometimes. Being a hard worker and good at what you do will win out nearly all the time. If you can do the job you'll get it whether you have the piece of paper or not.

As an aised; saw a job advertised in one of the up and coming mining towns in Oz the other day for an arborist to look after the entire town. Rediculous amount of money along with a lot of perks but the place is way WAY out in the middle of nowhere. If you want to earn it would be the place to go but don't expect too much of a lifestyle.

Cheers Ian, will pick your brains further on fb if thats cool!

Thanks alot for the response, i had considered training in NZ depending on cost etc, although i cant see it being more than the UK.

Cheers bro!

Arb australia is no longer part of the ISA so that doesn't stand for much, In Melbourne some councils require arborists to have certain qualifications but i have only heard of one guy getting pulled up for it, aslong as you have tickets you should be set mate. Work is easy to come by but there are people you don't work for, if your thinking about contracting its a competative place and you will need all the kit rigging included and be prepared to work for guys who have no clue.

In regards to visas' a working holiday is a year long but can be extended if you work for 3 months in a rural place (anywhere that isn't Melbourne, Sydney, Perth and some places in Queensland) will give you an extra year on the visa. On a working holiday you can only work for a company for 6 months unless you get sponsored or are contracting.

With sponsorship you are allowed to stay for 3 years then apply for residency but you are tied to one company for that time. You can still leave the country for 4 weeks anytime after that will stop your sponsorship.

Or you can find yourself a nice Shelia and settle down :biggrin: haha

Hope it works out Bro any questions just ask :thumbup1:

Cheers Ewan! Will pick your brains at some stage no doubt!

I'll get researching on Internet an start the ball rolling, looking at summer/autumn next year!

As for the sheila, well i'll have to ask the missus if she's happy to share.... Some how i doubt it! :P

Cheers Ewan! Will pick your brains at some stage no doubt!

I'll get researching on Internet an start the ball rolling, looking at summer/autumn next year!

As for the sheila, well i'll have to ask the missus if she's happy to share.... Some how i doubt it! :P

haha she'll be right mate, :thumbup1: yeah mate just give me a shout if you need a hand

• 2 weeks later...

Ye bro, looking at autumn or late summer, need to save up after Africa then jump ship!!

NZ appeals to me more, mainly due to the mountain sports, moneys never been my motive but i would like to not be worrying about money all the time like UK.

Wheres a good place to start in NZ, auckland im guessing?

Ye bro, looking at autumn or late summer, need to save up after Africa then jump ship!!

NZ appeals to me more, mainly due to the mountain sports, moneys never been my motive but i would like to not be worrying about money all the time like UK.

Wheres a good place to start in NZ, auckland im guessing?

Cool man,Id say sept/oct would be a good time to go..unless you want a winter?

Yeh probably auckland good place to start as you got more jobs there and will fly into there or chch..if you want the mountains which are only about 1hr away and also got the beach.