A honest quote.

leafcut

This is a fishing trip. :thumbdown:

If you know how to do the job, you will know how long it will take you.

If you know how long it will take you, you will know what your costs are.

Apply your margin and give your price.

If you can't make your mind up about any of the above, then pass the job on to somebody that can.

Thats my observation. :biggrin:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell them you'll do it for £50 because you love felling big trees. That way you'll get the job and you can see how long it takes so next time you'll know how much to charge.:001_smile:

With big trees forget about the brash, its the timber that takes time. Crane and a couple of 20yd skips and do it in a day, or 5 days cunning it all up and taking it away in a transit. I did one in the snow a while back, only had the landy and trailer, it was 10 loads of timber, and the client kept the cord wood.

Sorry to say, but as your first "big" tree removal, you will under price it. You will learn from it, and even in the future, although you will know more, you'll still never charge enough.

There always seems to be lots of hype about these huge tree removals, but in reality, they are only great to talk about in the pub. They do need lots of skill, yes, and they are supposidly at the "top end" of our niche market, but you will never make enough money from them. A few good bits of topping, lopping, cutting and dragging will earn just as much in the week, with a lot less stress!

Obviously this is all pie in the sky in this instance, as there should not be a chance permission is granted!

Thanks for the replies, I see now that not only did I under price the job I also didnt take into consideration the sheer time scale to complete the job fully. Fortunately I have not given any quote to the client and I did say he would probably have a better chance of finding some rocky horse S***E than getting a fell with the TPO...thanks all the same, regards...Nick Pearson, Timberline-Roe Ltd.

Sorry to say, but as your first "big" tree removal, you will under price it. You will learn from it, and even in the future, although you will know more, you'll still never charge enough.

There always seems to be lots of hype about these huge tree removals, but in reality, they are only great to talk about in the pub. They do need lots of skill, yes, and they are supposidly at the "top end" of our niche market, but you will never make enough money from them. A few good bits of topping, lopping, cutting and dragging will earn just as much in the week, with a lot less stress!

Obviously this is all pie in the sky in this instance, as there should not be a chance permission is granted!

Good advice and very true!:thumbup:

I would look into a thinning out of the tree as it would never get the ok to fell unless its obvious and put into a report that it's going to fall over. Or die very shortly.

As its been said you would make more money doing this than the fell. Time is money and by the sounds of it this job cold take a while to complete. Just ringing the trunk down will take a while, and that's with bloke hanging around waiting.

Everyone gets it wrong now and again and it's a learning curve.

Would I be right in saying this seems a bit out of your depth? Sorry if it's not but I have to wounder when people are asking others what they should be quoting for jobs? I can't remember a plumber coming to my house and asking me how much he should charge me for my work?

Just an observation.

I would look into a thinning out of the tree as it would never get the ok to fell unless its obvious and put into a report that it's going to fall over. Or die very shortly.

As its been said you would make more money doing this than the fell. Time is money and by the sounds of it this job cold take a while to complete. Just ringing the trunk down will take a while, and that's with bloke hanging around waiting.

Everyone gets it wrong now and again and it's a learning curve.

Would I be right in saying this seems a bit out of your depth? Sorry if it's not but I have to wounder when people are asking others what they should be quoting for jobs? I can't remember a plumber coming to my house and asking me how much he should charge me for my work?

Just an observation.

Yes Rich you are right, I am, as stated previously the job is a daunting one, but I am sure most of us recall their first big tree, thanks all the same...Nick.

Yes Rich you are right, I am, as stated previously the job is a daunting one, but I am sure most of us recall their first big tree, thanks all the same...Nick.

I think for the majority of us our first big was done as an subbie or employee, so estimating how long it should take and the price to charge was the job of someone with the experience to do it.

Most of us did a great many large trees as a hired saw before we ever thought of running our own show, so when the time came we had the experience required.

If you can get a crane in then get one in, they make all the difference, you also want a Top notch climber with experience at crane work, get them too look before you quote. From what you are saying then it sounds like a 3ker at least.