Tech Cert Management Exercise

NewParkTrees

Hi all, I'm new to Arbtalk and just wondered if anyone could kindly give me a few pointers.

I've just registered to retake Unit 4 - Tree condition, and Unit 5 - The Management of Trees in the Environment of the Level 3 Tech Cert (passed the other two). To cut a long story short, it seems to be taking ages to pass this qualification with exam retakes, deferments etc. With this being my last opportunity to pass these two units because the Tech Cert is being discontinued, I want to make sure I get it right this time.

Therefore, I've just started revising, and have enrolled on two of the three days prep course with Tree Life.

I originally did the Online course through Myerscough, and struggled a bit to be honest, especially when it came to practicing things like tree surveys, drawing sketch plans etc.

Has anyone got any advice about doing tree surveys, and site plans please? What equipment do I need (loads of people had measuring wheels, clinometers on first management exercise, are these necessary)?

Do I need to get hold of BS5837: 2012 or will the 2005 version be suffiecient?

Any other pointers would be gratefully accepted.:confused1:

Sorry for the long winded post by the way.

Hi there, im going to be retaking my trees in the environment exam. I have found it a bit annoying having to wait a whole year to retake but i guess i should have passed in the first place. Advice from my experience last year, look at points per question and answer high marked points and you will definately need the new 5837. I had an a4 weather writer but will prob invest in the next size up. Will see you up at treelife for the prep days

Thanks Ben, brilliant, see you there. Do you know where to get hold of a copy of the new BS5837? I might give Myerscough a call to see if I'm still in there system and can get hold of one. Hopefully be pretty much ready for the exam by the time of the prep course, and that'll make the difference this time round.

You will definitely need a compass and a diameter tape. Distances fromn trees for crown spreads and clinometer work can be done by pacing, they won't check distances uless they're grossly wrong. Could have got away without a clinometer on last year's exam. To be honest you could guesstimate the heights of trees, you probably won't be asked how you measured the height and even if you were you couyld state clinometer. Again, as long as you aren't grossly wrong on height it would be OK.

As Pommie says, don't waste time. Read the question after the examiner has explained it, not while it is being explained, so you don't miss anything. If you find you need the data at the last minute when writing up the answers you can just go and measure it. Everyone will be sitting down by then it will be easier than at the beginning when everyone is milling around.

Get the verbal questioning out of the way first chance you get, then you know the remaining time is yours.

Thanks for all the tips! Worst thing I found was running out of time, definitely trying to put to much info down. I ended up just guesstimating heights anyway, so will do that first and if I have time at end use clinometer. Good fungi directory on here, should really help too.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bundle 2

I don't think there have been any major changes to njug and nhbc but there have been some fundamental changes in b.s. 5837 mostly around establishment of the r.p.a. I am reading it through at the moment. Along with every thing else like the new 3998 the list is endless.

I wonder if a learned member could enlighten me as to how accurately the draft document is replicated in the new standard at all ?

I need to bring myself up to date and will have no use of the standard post exams, hence my reluctance to go out and pay for one....!

Edited by Bundle 2