Acer Losing leaves - Dying?

coltbridge7

Question

We have a mature, red Japanese Maple which was healthy until it was pruned a couple of years ago by a gardener. This year it has been losing leaves prematurely and some of the upper most branches are dead and leafless.

One of the branches that was pruned has flaking bark and small insects though this might just be because it is dead.

Photos can be supplied

Hope something can be done to save this beautiful tree

5 answers to this question

We have a mature, red Japanese Maple which was healthy until it was pruned a couple of years ago by a gardener. This year it has been losing leaves prematurely and some of the upper most branches are dead and leafless.

One of the branches that was pruned has flaking bark and small insects though this might just be because it is dead.

Photos can be supplied

Hope something can be done to save this beautiful tree

I hate to just jump in with out even seeing a photo but from your description and this years climatic conditions i would say Drought damage, in the spring we just had no rain, its truly been devastating for our trees this year. Hope I have not offended.

Believe it or not, I had a few days away in spring and must have been the only sunny time, my plant in a pot just dried up and all leaves are dead. I just hope the whole plant is not lost.

Since then all it has done is rain rain & more bloody rain

Yep i know what you are thinking, I am hoping some recovery will acure next year, i have a lot of trees planted of different ages and they have all shown symptoms of stress following the drought spring, worst ones being Red Oak which i planted they have tried and tried to come out in leaf and even now in July with all the rain they are still trying, i always thought that if a tree had not come into leaf by now it was dead, but not these, they just keep on trying, some have gone into full blown leaf burst and the leaves are massive, but half the crop are suppressed with only very small leaf formation showing but they are trying. I think because of the wet summer i may not have any losses . long may it rain:thumbup: HAY the fungi this year is going to be amazing :thumbup:

Check symptoms against verticilium wilt. It affects the potato family as well.

Sudden drying of leaves and wood becomes dead and brittle quicker than normal dieback

If it is verticilium wilt. No affected plants will suceed in that place unless soil is sterilised.

It can be spread by pruning tools and soil tools.