Who uses postcrete??

Matthew Storrs

well if you can dig quite narrow holes 2 bags might just fill a 2ft hole if you have to dig out stones etc the hole obviously ends up quite a bit wider say 15 inches accross you would probably need 3 if you wanted to completely fill the hole. I have found i fill the first 18 inches with post crete then tamp soil and turf around the top 6 inches.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm using K post just now and it's good stuff at around £3.50 a bag I think. Best buy is also a pinch bar and a post hole spade as it keeps the holes nice and tight. Or if you don't want to buy one of them get an old shovel and attack it with the grinder to make it about 5 inchs wide saves having to big a hole

i don't use postmix way to expensive, i may get shot down for this but have been doing it for years and never a to return to a job,

if you dry mix your concrete in a mixer and ram it down in the post hole you can install your fence straight away and the moisture in the ground will set your concrete or if you are worried just sprinkle with water at the end of the day.

my timber supplier sells a two part post mix, in the bag you get ballast and a seperate bag of cement messured out just to mix together digging with post shovels normally use 1 bag for every post and a half think it's about £5 a bag.

Yeah I see the point of still using concrete and if you haven't got some numpty labourer working that doesn't know how to mix concrete dry enough then it's all fine.

Personally I see postcrete as an innovation to fencing, the same way a mechanical digger took over from a navvie. It's progress that makes life easier. Making work more productive.

Use it 99% of the time, and we put a lot of fences up. We often mix some small stones in too (or broken concrete) bag and a half (25kg bags) per post is fine if the ground is firm and hole is quite tight. 10" across with a 4" post. we buy in bulk (pallet at a time) so get it quite cheap (supplier even holds it for us). Occasionally use concrete but only on big gate posts where we can let it go right off (set posts on a Friday, hang on a Monday)

Haslemere Fencing Home Page

I use post Crete as its so quick ! I buy in build from the major DIY store , but I hardly ever put just 2 bags in as I'm normally reerecting Pannel fencing ! And I'm having to take out the old concrete to put new in ! Any ideas on how I can use less are appreciated !

I hate the stuff but it has it's purposes, client of mine wanted a birdsmouth knee rail installing today, 15posts set in all level and lovely, job completed in 5hours with postfix. Most fences we do get the full concreted in treatment, with at least two nights to set before the panels/rails go near it. :001_smile:

I use post Crete as its so quick ! I buy in build from the major DIY store , but I hardly ever put just 2 bags in as I'm normally reerecting Pannel fencing ! And I'm having to take out the old concrete to put new in ! Any ideas on how I can use less are appreciated !

You can reduce the amount you use by whacking a fair amount of the old concrete in with it. This also reduces the amount of waste you have to take away.

You can reduce the amount you use by whacking a fair amount of the old concrete in with it. This also reduces the amount of waste you have to take away.

Yeah done that a few times but there is only so much waste you can put it !

I use it all the time, 2ft deep hole and 2 bags per hole. When I price up I include it in the cost and hey presto. If you buy 25kg bags of ballast and bags of cement and the time it takes to mix then it ain't much different really as u can do the job quicker.