Leopard and cub

Chainsaw carving in Eucalyptus. Roughly 2m long from tail to nose. took me about 13 hours or so over 2 days. Biggest piece i have done so far but then i have only been carving for about 4 months :biggrin:

Owners were very pleased with it which is the main thing

I was a little nervous at the start, such a big piece and having to work off the ground but i was pleased with the end result

DSC_0094.jpg.688b1d10e6c36f4e69e3062fd72eda18.jpg

DSC_0090.jpg.6e3e8526e1f6f0d2cfcede40af91269f.jpg

DSC_0088.jpg.b1949b1c5c64fb90ffce39c4d5079dd9.jpg

Thats Fantastic ...very stealthy !! Nervous ? Is this your first piece "for a customer in situ" ? I can imagine that would be a bit of pressure especially if they keep peekin out the window !!! Eucalyptus ... does it smell nice and did you leave the cubs tail til last ???

The clients were my parents so slightly easier BUT in a way, harder! Main nerves were about trying to hold the plan in my head when i had to carve 1 day, miss a day and then carve again on the third day (i did the CS30 training/assessment on the middle day). Smell nice? hmm.. no, not especially. Its very hard wood (had to re-sharpen the chains a couple of times) and had a slight 'medicinal' small but not massively. Its been dead for a long time and was pretty dry so perhaps thats why? The cub was a last-minute addition. I wanted to complete the story and there needed to be a reason why shy was climbing teh tree. either 'prey' or cub. I decided on the cub but only wanted to suggest teh shape, not carve it in detail. given i could only just reach the cub with my arms extended i couldnt do much in teh way of detail anyway

Thats good news ... congrats... I was interested as you were askin about assessment on a previous thread . I did cs30/31 with Phil Dunford about two and a half years ago.... I found him a top bloke although he was frettin back then as he had just learned he was having wind turbines very close to his property ... have they happened ?? I did 5 days but i didnt do the assessment as I couldnt justify the cost ... I only cut fell and carve on my own land ... would liked to have done it but the cash bought me a saw carvin bar sprocket and chain ... ready to go .... i'm sure i would have been very nervous back then ... anyway well done its nice to achieve !!!

Phil is a star! not only knows his stuff to a fantastic level of detail but is also SOOOO enthusiastic! By the end of the day I was considering doing the felling course as well :) I had 1-to-1 training so could get it knocked off quickly and so could learn some more advanced cuttign techniques. I also learnt soem stuff that i didnt know... maintainance stuff that I would have been uncertain to do myself before it. I can't recommend him enough