rope wrench test videos

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand why you are going to the trouble of doing destructive tests :confused1:

I was under the impression the the rope wrench's function was to take some of the strain or load of the friction hitch for the climber ?

In this case, unless you are a frikkin elephant, the maximum loading on the hitch should be no more than the weight of the climber

I don't understand why you are going to the trouble of doing destructive tests :confused1:

I was under the impression the the rope wrench's function was to take some of the strain or load of the friction hitch for the climber ?

In this case, unless you are a frikkin elephant, the maximum loading on the hitch should be no more than the weight of the climber

Well I think some of the tests are a bit unnecessary but most of them highlight the importance of keeping a well set system, whether it's a RW, HC, HH, whatever.

I've mentioned before that I had an inverted RW scare in a Yew tree. The floppy tether I had on my ZK1 looped over the slick pin but luckily I fell only a couple of feet onto some crossing branches.

The hitch didn't grab, it couldn't, and there was no way I could have arrested the fall in anyway.

A timely reminder of how easy it is to become complacent about ones abilities and forget about ones mortality.

That incident kind of ruined things for me mentally despite knowing it was my fault, not the kit.

Being as the RW is a product created by Kevin I think its right that he has done some testing of what could happen in certain scenarios.

As far as drop testing a lockjack with a rope wrench, well, no one has ever done it, so what could happen was really an unknown. Until now that is:biggrin:

There are more and more people experimenting with different srt configurations, particularly the rope wrench, and some of those people have lockjacks/spiderjacks. The initial theory for wrench failure with a lockjack was that the camming action of the lj could potentially sever the rope, or remain open resulting in a freefall. I felt that this should be tested to see just how safe the configuration is, for the benefit of the wider climbing community, not just my own piece of mind

very much interested on lj drop tests. I'm reasonably confident with it, but i have my days. in reference to the videos would an inverted rw have the same effect on an lj. its only not catching because the vt isn't given room to grab. would this be correct?

No, an inverted wrench presses the top of the hitch, as you say, not giving it space to grab.

The LJ works in a different way, pressure on the top cannot open it once it's cammed:thumbup1: