Taking the van home

kev7937

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So for it to be a company vehicle would no-one else be able to use it and for it to be available for personal use?

Not sure if I'm probing into a grey area here or not, it certainly wouldn't be written into an employment contract and I don't think anyone would object to the occasional bit of personal use as long as the urine wasn't extracted.

Yes, if it were a company vehicle you would be getting paid considerably less than you are and then gettign taxed as if you were earning that amount (or nearly)

The whole point of company cars is that they are part of an employment package, so if one company offers you 20K and another offers 18K plus a car, you take the second offer, but you will get taxed on that car which essentially belongs to you (for the duration of your emplyment)

Taking the truck home is not the same thing at all. Its not your vehicle. Some companies (im think office types, not tree work) have "pool" cars. They can be taken home and the employees are not taxed, its not the same as a "company car".

Who is suddenly going to tax you for it anyway?

The professional advice I've had in the past is that using a work vehicle for travelling to and from work only (i.e. no going shopping, to the pub, on holiday etc) is a taxable benefit, and staff were taxed accordingly.

However, this - http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vans/vans-info.pdf - appears to disagree.

Employees pay tax on a company van if they or a member of their family or household make private use of it. If the employee has the van mainly for work journeys (for example, delivering goods or making calls to customers), and the only private use is commuting, there is no tax to pay.

My experience relates to 2003/2004, so maybe the law has changed.

I managed a large company where certain employees were allowed to take vans home. As said this is a massive privilege and shouldn't be abused but it did...often. I always saw the vans in b&q on a weekend loading up with fence panels etc when the chaps were using them for there own cash jobs. The One that really sticks in my mind was when I was going to Scotland for a holiday and passed one of the vans on the motorway near Carlisle..... We were based in Gloucester!!!! He bought a motorbike on eBay and was going to collect it in Glasgow !! Didn't ask just went! He said ' i cant see what the problem is I paid for the fuel' !!

The professional advice I've had in the past is that using a work vehicle for travelling to and from work only (i.e. no going shopping, to the pub, on holiday etc) is a taxable benefit, and staff were taxed accordingly.

However, this - http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vans/vans-info.pdf - appears to disagree.

My experience relates to 2003/2004, so maybe the law has changed.

Thanks for doing the research for me that's just about sums it up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In a way you are helping the business by using the vans as the outgoings go up so less tax to pay.

Yes its true that the more a company spends the less tax it pays, but I think you are getting confused as to how that works. Its only of benefit to the company if the outgoings are for business costs that help them to ultimately earn more money in the business. Spending money on employees fuel is 100% loss financially, with the only thing gained perhaps being a happier workforce, but i'd say 9 out of 10 staff wouldnt really appreciate it and would most likely abuse it also.

Yes its true that the more a company spends the less tax it pays, but I think you are getting confused as to how that works. Its only of benefit to the company if the outgoings are for business costs that help them to ultimately earn more money in the business.

Oh just to add....it should follow that although they will be saving some tax money, if the money they have reinvested is done wisely then their tax bills should in fact be higher as their investements should be increasing their turnover