Srt

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So to get your anchor back down u just climb back up the tree and descend on double rope?

Presumably you could just clip a short sling into the end of the rope and down to your bridge? You could drop the RW off your HC and let it run down with you just on the hitch? There would be no change over to Ddrt as such then, just drop the RW and away to go...

I guess this would be better clipped into an alpine butterfly behind the bowline to clip into to take some friction out of the eye of the bowline though...?

Kev Bingham has a very good article in

"arb climber" about srt anchoring systems

We were discussing this just the other day. There seems to be so many new and varied ideas of anchoring etc with the wrench and srt. We see heaps on blogs, facebook and various other places. We decided to pick possibly two and stick with them rather than trying to learn all of them. For a newbie to srt like me it was all starting to get a bit discombobulating. Personally I prefer the cambium saver lock off. Retrievable from the floor as long as you set it right and seems to work hunkydory. Never been keen on that base anchor thing. Once you see a couple of big limbs landing real close or a groundy getting a bit happy with a chainsaw in the vicinity it gets the old sphincter twitching a bit. Still having issues with ascending to the first bracnh I have to say and I still use the SJ for smaller trees. Happy that I have both options in my bag.

I've been on SRT with a RW since February but still use my LJ with a Pulleysaver in the small trees.

I tried a couple of base anchor systems but didn't like the uncertainty after it had flopped and I reapplied my weight. I also didn't like seeing limbs and branches nearly hitting the rope and I especially didn't like the occasion I nearly cut the rope when I forgot it was running down the other side of the trunk!

I really hated the bounce in the rope.

I now set up with my tail reaching the ground with a few metres extra. The rest of the rope (above my hitch) passes over the anchor point and dangles to the ground. I 'fix' it with an Alpine Butterfly on the dangling side and a 10mm oval Maillon to connect my side to the Butterfly. This then chokes up on the anchor point and is retrievable from the ground when I've finished the job.

I'll try and get photos tomorrow if I remember but I'll put them on the Rope Wrench thread.

---

I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?g22ryw