Doing as asked in regards to contacting

RobArb

I'm not going to join in with the yoof bashing. Things have changed since I started contracting in 1994. Then all you had to do was turn up on time and someone would give you a stick to put in the chipper, simple...

These days people expect our students to be much more savvy, but that ain't on the curriculum at Myerscough is it?

Have you guys forgotten what it was like starting out?

It's pretty daunting moving from the classroom to a commercial worksite. I'm confident with my ability in the tree, but more importantly I have learnt how to anticipate the needs of my employers.

As a contractor, my ability to communicate, and hold to my commitments are my most valuable skills. But that isn't on the curriculum at any arb college is it? (Have I said that already?)

Has anyone new to our industry actually got this far down the thread? Then you probably have the commitment already!:biggrin:

Want my advice?

1: Be honest about your abilities but let potential employers know you are keen to learn.

2: Always show up when you say you will. NEVER let someone down by text.

3: Be confident with what you can do but don't appear over-confident. Your crew will be thinking "he can talk the talk, but can he walk the walk?". The former you can do straight from college, but the latter will take you 3 years minimum. Don't blag it - you will hurt yourself or worse, some other poor sod.

5: Our employers have two concerns; safety & profit. Don't work for any who doesn't put safety first. Period.

Edited by skyhuck
language

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok away from picking on the poor little young uns now. The ability to follow instruction is most important on site where things can be busy, and dangerous. It doesnt matter how well qualified, or which college you attended, if you cant follow a simple instruction to "Stay there" or "Do this" they will inevitably put themselves in a position of danger before the week is out.

• 8 months later...
It's just lazy, and I for one would not contact anyone who expected me to contact them when I've asked for them to contact me:biggrin:

Well said Rob although now I'm confused.... who am I contacting again?

:laugh1:

Hi my name is Mark.

I'm hardworking, very good at everything, have most of my own teeth, handsome, well-endowed, O level history, modest and generally a really great guy.

I can't be bothered to read most of your post, so please call me on 0891 505050.

Thanks.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App