Doing as asked in regards to contacting

RobArb

Its hard to blame young people when schools treat them like clients and have to listen to their complaints. While they are growing up its all about them. You need to wade through the ' to be honest' 'to be fair with you' negotiating bull you get on the first day. Then after a baptism of work fire some are ace. :thumbup:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I missed a phone call today. So I rang it back in the eve. It was a lad that had just left college asking if I had any work. He didn't tell me his name, age or anything. When I enquirer what course he had done at college, he didnt know!!!

He then said an N.D, so I asked how long the course was, a year, he said.

Now I thought the year course was an N.C in arb.

He was confused.

What ticket have you got?

He said, none.

What the he'll is going on at college these days????

There definitely seems to be a lack of preparedness for many of the students, as to whats expected in the "real world". I think some tutors/teachers lack any motivational skills, that gives the student the drive to get going in life. Of course, this applies to students too. When they turn up in college for a course, it doesnt matter if their boot laces arent tied, no one makes them mind so this follows on to the work place. I hate to see it, unready to do a days work. With everyone having to think for them, its no wonder they dont know which course theyve just completed. I know there are exceptions to this, they are the ones to employ, the dross can go and apply at G4S :biggrin:

I don't wholeheartedly agree here, this thread had suddenly turned into a young people/student bashing thread.

For the short stint I taught at Myerscough, yes there where one or two who didn't have a clue but the majority where eager to listen, asked question and were generally quite involved.

I think its just a generalisation when young people get blamed for stuff mentioned in the thread but I bet its a wide genre of people of all ages that really don't have any common sense and know how to follow instructions, like please PM or ring me (not leave your own number for me to do the running around)

Sent from my Galaxy S2

I also agree with this totally but on the politeness note, if I offer a job for ppl and they do contact me, I reply to everyone even if by that point i do have someone sorted just to let them know that they have been acknowledged and will bear them in mind next time. Really winds me up why I have responded to job requests only to hear nothing and left wondering "wtf is going on, is this bloke interested or not".

Little rant over but I do still agree with the pm contacting thing originally stated.

Politeness by both parties is essential i think

As per Landyman.

There are still people offering work on this site who need a poke in the ribs to get a response. I replied correctly to a post on Friday last week for work this Wednesday. I got my 'now sorted thanks' this morning after another pm from me yesterday evening.

Being polite, professional etc. doesn't cost anything. I wont be contacting this or the other person who similarly left me wondering again to see if they have work. I would rather put a solid day in working my butt off, than staring at a page in my diary at an entry pencilled in for a job that is never going to happen because someone posting a request for a worker can't be bothered to post a thank you to responders, or acknowledge a pm.

Tinker

As per Landyman.

There are still people offering work on this site who need a poke in the ribs to get a response. I replied correctly to a post on Friday last week for work this Wednesday. I got my 'now sorted thanks' this morning after another pm from me yesterday evening.

Being polite, professional etc. doesn't cost anything. I wont be contacting this or the other person who similarly left me wondering again to see if they have work. I would rather put a solid day in working my butt off, than staring at a page in my diary at an entry pencilled in for a job that is never going to happen because someone posting a request for a worker can't be bothered to post a thank you to responders, or acknowledge a pm.

Tinker

Agreed:congrats: It does work both ways too!

Harsh though it sounds, I can only state what I have seen from some of the dross that turns out for work. Unfortunately, they are young. Well, younger than me! :001_rolleyes: unfortunately, they have left college thinking they are the dogs nadgers, yet sadly fall far short. Unfortunately, they do start off turning up with laces undone, trousers halfway down their backsides, dragging their feet in the yard, or the clients garden. To date, of the last few years, I csn think of two young starters who broke this mould, and I can think of at least half a dozen who fit my stereotype too well. It is not my intention to criticise anyone unfairly, or to tar with the same brush, but unfortunately experience tells me a different story.

for one example of a student who broke the mould, and appears to have gone on to do nicely for himself is Will Morris, he turned up to work for a me a couple of years ago, dressed in the correct ppe, ready for work, a fine example to others of what should be expected as the norm. Attitude and first impression is very important if you want to work.