Students please read

Steve Bullman

As I understand it, to be a tutor at college, you need firstly a Foundation degree in your subject, going on to a full degree, that qualifies you as lecturer, then you need a full 3 years in the field, then take your PGCE to be qualified as a tutor. So in theory, it shouldnt be that a tutor doesnt have experience in the subject/course they are teaching.

Nah you dont ! sorry m8 that maybe a nice fluffy dream of the education world, however the practicality is very different

I knew of a situation where after leaving hm forces aguy got his tickets lantra training & took over teaching arb coarses with sod all application in the real industry

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you need the quals to be a lecturer, but most of these establishments also use skills instructors for some lessons ( I presume to keep costs down) and there are no formal quals for this. I studied at Riseholme near lincoln fairly recently and they have a lecturer who has climbed but also use a local arborist to run the various courses. both great blokes. learnt a lot from them, although there were others who were less useful.

Kev.

I'm on a arb 2 year course atm on my secound year at Otley college and there are a number of tutors which are qualified to teach or not, which is really bad. The tutors have either have sum experience in arb or not at all. I personally feel that more and more colleges are bringing in tutors who may have the qualifications but dont have the teaching ability or the experience.

Nah you dont ! sorry m8 that maybe a nice fluffy dream of the education world, however the practicality is very different

I knew of a situation where after leaving hm forces aguy got his tickets lantra training & took over teaching arb coarses with sod all application in the real industry

Errrrm, well as the tutor is above the lecturer in the scale of things, I know I'm right on this, as its an option my son is looking at for the future, and we are following up the nice fluffy dream.

Saying this, how can arboriculture ever hope to be taken seriously if the training personnel arent adquately experienced? I also know of one instructor who trains up students, and I cant imagine anyone with a less realistic attitude.

I studied at Riseholme near lincoln fairly recently and they have a lecturer who has climbed but also use a local arborist to run the various courses. both great blokes. learnt a lot from them, although there were others who were less useful.

Kev.

are we talking about Paul Peacock here? I had the good fortune to train under him for my NPTCs and could not have wished for a better trainer. Incredibly knowledgeable and a damn good bloke to boot!

Madmatt!! nice to see a fellow lr4x4 bod in a new place for me. (discojmz)

i did a course at Kilmarnock College in Ayrshire, Scotland.

Last August to July this year, i had 2 lecturers called Angus Tresider and Craig McIntosh, Angus has worked as a tree surgeon all over the world and took up teaching years ago, Craig has bags of experience, i couldn't have asked for better teachers, both are NPTC qualified instructors and assessors.

Everything on my course was spot on, maybe this was because both really new what they were doing.

arbgarry,

Angus and Craig are good people for learning the basic elements of treeclimbing and felling.

I'm sure they would both agree that they provided you with the starting point of your education in arboriculture. After leaving them you are like a fisherman in a small boat on a vast ocean, all you can see is the surface, but underneath you is a whole world of unexplored learning which can only be achieved through the experience of working with time served professionals and developing your own problem solving skills.

Graeme Watson, Chris Simpson and Matt Cooper at SAC Lanark are probably the best arb trainers in Scotland at this present time.

are we talking about Paul Peacock here? I had the good fortune to train under him for my NPTCs and could not have wished for a better trainer. Incredibly knowledgeable and a damn good bloke to boot!

Madmatt!! nice to see a fellow lr4x4 bod in a new place for me. (discojmz)

Did wonder if you'd be over here at some point Jim:ciao:

arbgarry,

Angus and Craig are good people for learning the basic elements of treeclimbing and felling.

I'm sure they would both agree that they provided you with the starting point of your education in arboriculture. After leaving them you are like a fisherman in a small boat on a vast ocean, all you can see is the surface, but underneath you is a whole world of unexplored learning which can only be achieved through the experience of working with time served professionals and developing your own problem solving skills.

Graeme Watson, Chris Simpson and Matt Cooper at SAC Lanark are probably the best arb trainers in Scotland at this present time.

True, im still more than willing to learn, i just need to find someone to take me on and show me more.

Im fed up no working, so much so i phoned company's and even offered to work the odd day for free just to get some experience behind me, no-one is bothering though

free worker!!!!!!!! they must be mad

yea, free with no strings attached, ill even bring coffee and food, lol

im just scaired thats its gona be a case of i dont use it i loose it, ive worked hard to get my tickets and havnt had a chance to use or show anyone what i can do