Flail mower what to charge.

Scott Walker

Hi after a few customs wanting rough ground cleared i'm looking into buying a flail mower, what i would like to know is how much to charge for using it, it will go behind my case 85hp tractor. Is it best to charge per hour or per acre? or just give a price for the job? thanks for any help.

Contract mowing is generally charged at a per acre rate (This year £8.50 / acre is the going rate around us if it ever gets dry enough to have a go). However, I also go out on a 30hp Kubota with a deck or 5ft flail doing the small stuff, awkward stuff like orchards or funny shaped small fields, fields with limited access etc and that is charged at £40 /hr.

i go out with a topper for £35 per hour, never for an acreage rate, and certainly wouldnt do it for £8.50 an acre, how on earth can that pay??? Ive had most clients say £35 an hour is reasonable and happily pay it, might try for £40 now though! i had one contractor moaning at me that he only get £22.50 per hour and his kit cost thousands more.... I think you have to be realistic and charge enough, I also charge travel one way on most jobs, but thats distance dependent, somtimes I dont charge at all, and sometimes I charge both ways, I make it up as I go along really, it depends on many factors.

My contract mowing is approx 6+ acres per hour which will be £51 an hour if we ever get started.

Kubota with flail is about an acre an hour (more on brambles of heavy wet grass).

Both work out about the same after the difference in fuel costs are taken into account.

I don't charge travel time as it is not really within the customers control where the last/next job was/is.

I've just bought a wee one for my alpine tractor, My dad is the importer so I got a good deal.

If you are interested Scott he has one in stock just now, a big one, 2.3m I think, your case should just about be able to handle it, its a really nice heavy duty one, takes brash up to 3", and cuts grass, brambles etc. I know he is looking to get it out of the way so would do a good deal. Its just too big for what I need..

This is it..Bargam S.p.A. - Sprayer Machine - polverizzatori - nebulizzatori - atomizzatori - sprayers - pulverisateurs - feldspritze - atomiseur - mist blower - atomizer - atomizadores - pulverizadores - sprgerte - automoteur

Call 01361 883418 ask for Patrick.:001_smile:

Cant be much money to be made out of that job ?

What does your tractor cost per hour to run inc depreciation, and insurance

what does your flail cost per hour, purchase cost plus servicing costs divided by life expectancy in hours.

I worked my chipper out that after 4/5 years of ownership, my chipper has so far cost me £1 per minute / £60 per hour to run