The Beauty & Wonderfulness of the Sling

Albedo

Why not just choke them on the biners?

This would be neater and suit my OCD. I can't remember why I chose the knot over what you suggest. Probably just did it one day and kept to it.

Trying it now the knot seems more solid, so I may or may not swap to your suggestion.

In response to Pete ... I already pointed out that the crab is the weak link.

Also its my system and I want to be able to find the crab end fixed..it suits me.What you regard as bad practice is not going to change what I find to be convenient.

A bigger concern would be side loading on the crab, but the way I set it and the size of the bits I use it for make all of this of little concern compared to the convenience of the thing.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the problem is that people are lazy...the knotted sling may be used to rig something larger down because its close to hand or it could be used by someone who doesnt understand the implications of knotting a sling

you could be the best arb in the world, but at some point you will take a shortcut and you wont be taking into account breaking strains

This would be neater and suit my OCD. I can't remember why I chose the knot over what you suggest. Probably just did it one day and kept to it.

Trying it now the knot seems more solid, so I may or may not swap to your suggestion.

In response to Pete ... I already pointed out that the crab is the weak link.

Also its my system and I want to be able to find the crab end fixed..it suits me.What you regard as bad practice is not going to change what I find to be convenient.

A bigger concern would be side loading on the crab, but the way I set it and the size of the bits I use it for make all of this of little concern compared to the convenience of the thing.

A larks foot will weaken the sling but not as much as a knot, I know you are using the slings for light rigging which is fine and the knots would really not be a concern but tying knots in slings is not needed. You could even try cinching the sling onto the biner with a tough piece of rubber, bike inner tube for example, then your biner will stay in line and the sling will have no strengh loss.

Albedo: Thanks for that :thumbup1:. Really great post, and a lot of help. Slings seem a lot more popular now then when I was working. I never saw anyone use them, but they seem to be versatile bits of kit.

Nice touch to add your glasses, really helpful. Again, safety glasses seem to have become more popular in the last 10 years. I only ever wore them when facing up high conifer hedges, as it stops all the trimmings getting in your eyes when you look up.

Has anyone used these:

Bolle tracker safety spec

Was thinking of getting a pair once I return and get working.

No worries mate. Always good to be of use to somebody:001_smile:

It seems everybody else is awake now on this gloomy sunday morning:001_smile: not up with the larks like us:sneaky2:

A larks foot will weaken the sling but not as much as a knot, I know you are using the slings for light rigging which is fine and the knots would really not be a concern but tying knots in slings is not needed. You could even try cinching the sling onto the biner with a tough piece of rubber, bike inner tube for example, then your biner will stay in line and the sling will have no strengh loss.

Thats a good idea, those rubbers you get with the spiderjack would suit this! great tip, ta:thumbup:

Albedo gave a really helpful post after I asked about typical sizes and brands used. He stated in his post it reduces a slings strength and even included the working loads. He stated that he only uses it for small pieces. It's his kit and he seems well aware of what he is doing.

As tree surgeons, we should be aware that knotting anything reduces its strength and work accordingly.

Can anyone else help and show how they use slings or add and recommendations for kit? It is a great help to people like myself who are getting back up to speed with kit.

(edit- John Shutler: you posted as I was writing - great tip with the rubber :thumbup1:)