Large Oak reduction help

Taupotreeman

A couple more photos for you Tony. The last one shows where Stages had dug a hole 1.2m deep by 3m by 2m. That's after they done a few rounds with the digger around the base of the tree. There's two other holes about the same size within the drip line but we finally got a stop work.

It's going to be a major trying to get any kind of work done on the tree without Council interferance so we trying to sneak it through and just go for it.

And in defence of Mr. Bristow; It's unusual to see fungi in NZ woods and forests unless you're really looking for them. I noticed a lot of the fungi is dark in colour and tends to blend in with rotten stumps. Forests also tend to be a lot denser in undergrowth compared to the UK so that might be another reason :biggrin:

5976610788bce_ProtectedOak014.jpg.c3548a1128a2347f29f2b38d08800a50.jpg

5976610782e5c_ProtectedOak013.jpg.4012eddc7515730da78827f80a8e10d7.jpg

597661077def8_ProtectedOak011.jpg.f87d4fcc317d065be9c338c20ec43380.jpg

5976610776a96_ProtectedOak010.jpg.80c1731a4b027618d6aff00475cfdf55.jpg

597661076c644_ProtectedOak007.jpg.4d9ceb0783c0c6ed26aa23ac523d8b85.jpg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fell it.

Then replace it with New Zealands NationalTree,a nice Pinus Radiata.

Reducing it,Cabling it,improving the "Soil Structure" etc,does nothing for the fact the Trees is structually defective.Also the "Soil" around Taupo is crap,especially near the Lake Front where that Tree stands.

The Tree is falling apart because its knackered.Appreciate that.

Edited by Mike Hill

Mike, the Pin Oak in this photo is one of about 10 along the lake front. All have sun scorch from being stripped bare of any growth year in year out. In addition there are three Claret Ash, a Birch and three Prunus that have the same treatment. They look awful and are falling apart. It has taken a year and a half, three council meetings, one council resolution, two media releases and I still have to go out with the councillor who planted them and get his approval before I can remove them. The preferance is the status quo of hammering the living daylights out of them every year. Now imagine me trying to get approval to remove one of council's most high profile trees. Never going to happen so we have to make the best of what we have however we can.

IMG_0166.jpg.1d6fc599fb6f67514021dc9ed5caec6c.jpg

I wouldnt worry too much about those holes, while roots may have been severed the un consolidated soil within will now offer a new space to developing roots.

there is in this compacted situation a 50/50 detriment/benefit scenario.

Going on the amount of growth internaly low down this tree could easily be rounded over and allowed to re develop.

If I could I would fly over and do the reduction for ya!

Mike, the Pin Oak in this photo is one of about 10 along the lake front. All have sun scorch from being stripped bare of any growth year in year out. In addition there are three Claret Ash, a Birch and three Prunus that have the same treatment. They look awful and are falling apart. It has taken a year and a half, three council meetings, one council resolution, two media releases and I still have to go out with the councillor who planted them and get his approval before I can remove them. The preferance is the status quo of hammering the living daylights out of them every year. Now imagine me trying to get approval to remove one of council's most high profile trees. Never going to happen so we have to make the best of what we have however we can.

Rough that is mate.

On a different note,is the Spa Hotel still going?

Mike, the Spa Hotel is going but only just. It's in desperate need of a make over and most of the buildings stand empty.

Tony, the Oaks, Ash etc I refered too are in a high profile area and the ONLY reason they are trimmed every year is for the view. We thought it better to remove and replace with a lower growing species that we didn't need to trim every year. We are only one crew to cover the entire Taupo, Turangi district so we need to cut down on maintenance wherever we can. TDC has had a habit of rounding everything over to maintain the views. Doesn't matter if it's Totara, Oak, Birch, Beech etc. If it blocks the view it gets topped. It sometimes grates that a tree that needs attention badly we aren't allowed to touch yet another that should be left alone has been hammered time and again.

Back to the rubra; due to the emount of decay in it I think we are going to carry out whatever work we can from a cherry picker. Some of the branches are so decayed it makes me nervous just looking at them. Drew, not sure how high you got up the tree to put the globes up but when taking them out some of the limbs were moving way to free and easy for my liking.