1st pole lathe turned bowl

Baggy

1st turned bowl, well the first thing I have turned at all, other than making a big stick into a small stick last year.

I recently spent a day "playing" with a pole lathe under the excellent tutelage of Robin Fawcett, with much intervention, patience (from Robin) and laughter I managed to turn the bowl below.

The pole lathe is a leg powered wooden lathe so I needed to synchronise legs and sharp tools especially interesting as the work runs in reverse when the leg is raised for the next push. Next plan is to build my own pole lathe :-)

turned_bowl01.jpg

I recommend Robins training, to join him on his excellent greenwood courses see

Green Woodworking Course

Really nice shape - that's what you need my bigger bit of sycamore for :biggrin:

I really enjoyed playing with a pole lathe the other year at Wierd & Wonderful Wood. I ended up with a spurtle, which wasn't the most inspiring object but when I work my way through the myriad of things I really need to finish then I fancy having a pole lathe down the garden. Very relaxing.

Alec

Hiya

Nice form there Mark,great stuff,& when you get yourself up & running with your own lathe,give me a shout as I would love a look,& will give you some wood in exchange for a peep at it!

When I get it going you can have a go :-)

I will make space for some of that yew you mentioned :thumbup1:

Hiya

Really nice shape - that's what you need my bigger bit of sycamore for :biggrin:

I went down to see Robin to see if I would like bowl turning, but I think that I prefer carving. But I do want to make a lathe for spindle style turning.

I really enjoyed playing with a pole lathe the other year at Wierd & Wonderful Wood. I ended up with a spurtle, which wasn't the most inspiring object but when I work my way through the myriad of things I really need to finish then I fancy having a pole lathe down the garden. Very

I like spurtle :-)

Having seen the projects you have to complete it will be a while before you are turning :lol:

Hiya

Are you making your own bowl hooks??

No, it was not even my lathe!

I got started with help online from robin wood, that chap deserves a medal for the work he's putting into reviving traditional crafts

Ah, The other Robin, Robin Wood is an amazing bowl turner, his book is worth a read as well.

I think I will stick to a spindle lathe for a while and try bowls again later.

• 4 weeks later...