Have I bitten off more than I can Chew

wren100

My first 2 years of climbing were slow going. I would invariably be the second climber on site with most jobs and would normally be given the option to climb...If it was a bit too technical, or time was an issue i'd generally leave it to the main climber(boss). It wasn't till the boss started subbing me out 2 years down the road, when I was thrown in at the deep end with no option to pass, that my climbing started to improve to another level. Its good to be thrown in at the deep end, just so long as you have enough knowledge to get you through. In my case the knowledge was there, I just needed a bottle of Judges 'toughen up' drink.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ive got a old fashond bottel of 'toughen up' in the back of the shed you can have. lol

This made me think of the Australian Comedian Ronnie Johns who does a sketch about Chopper Read.

The classic line of "harden the f*** up."

Not sure whether it's appropriate to post a link to youbytuby, as I'm new around here.

This is not directed at the OP in any way shape or form - just reminded me of this comedy classic :lol:

My first 2 years of climbing were slow going. I would invariably be the second climber on site with most jobs and would normally be given the option to climb...If it was a bit too technical, or time was an issue i'd generally leave it to the main climber(boss). It wasn't till the boss started subbing me out 2 years down the road, when I was thrown in at the deep end with no option to pass, that my climbing started to improve to another level. Its good to be thrown in at the deep end, just so long as you have enough knowledge to get you through. In my case the knowledge was there, I just needed a bottle of Judges 'toughen up' drink.

This is right!

If you have an option to say ' er well this one looks a bit tricky can you do this one? ' anybody in the right mind would take a back step!

But when you dont have that option and you just have to give it a go, thats when you gain confidence, speed and skill.

Tree work is hard and it is dangerous, so well I dont condone someone being pushed way out of their depth- sometimes you just gotta man up, get up there and get on with it! If youre serious about your work it will all come good.

Matt

I was pretty clueless at first (haven't improved much mind!), but was mentored from the ground by an experienced climber, and I just did what he told me.

Sometimes I just had to tuck my balls away and get on with it, overcoming the trembling legs and pant-shitting terror.

Looking back, it wasn't great because his methods were very old school, and my cutting was dodgy to say the least, but I got through.

Rushing stuff is the easiest way to have accidents IMO. Do everything the right way, at your own pace, and the speed will develop itself.

Don't be bullied into shortcuts, and good luck with it.

I was pretty clueless at first (haven't improved much mind!), but was mentored from the ground by an experienced climber, and I just did what he told me.

Sometimes I just had to tuck my balls away and get on with it, overcoming the trembling legs and pant-shitting terror.

Looking back, it wasn't great because his methods were very old school, and my cutting was dodgy to say the least, but I got through.

Rushing stuff is the easiest way to have accidents IMO. Do everything the right way, at your own pace, and the speed will develop itself.

Yep . Rushing because you are under pressure is what I mean . You godda go were you have not been before to gain the knowledge and then the speed will come . The only analogy I can think of at the moment is motorcycle track day stuff . Learn each corner learn the lines and the speed will come . Rush in late on the brakes trying too hard and you go slower or worse . Unintentional de rail . Sorry .

Good post,learn at your own speed,push yourself but dont let others pressure you.

All the 'man up' stuff is all very funny,but it wont help you if you bash your confidence or get hurt,it does happen.:001_smile:

Like everyone's said just be safe and go at a comfortable pace!! I got rushed o ce when I first started! This guy I was worki g for had this super star climber before! Apparently. Anyway be made it like it was a race!!ol! Any how I rushed and took a top out that was way to big and dumped it on someo es roof!! There wasn't really any damage! But just goes to show accidents happen!!

Mark makes a very good point about not being bullied or peer pressured into things.

In my view this is one of the most important things. Whilst listening and learning which is fine.

You are the one up the tree, its your call... remember that.

How to stay alive in two words:

SMALL BITS

Edited by Albedo

Mark makes a very good point about not being bullied or peer pressured into things.

In my view this is one of the most important things. Whilst listening and learning which is fine.

You are the one up the tree, its your call... remember that.

How to stay alive in two words:

SMALL BITS

Couldn't agree more...:001_smile: