Poor throwline skills?

finchyo

Having not the best throwline skills and getting very fustrated on many a go, we made a new bit of kit for the job.

Using an old crossbow my brother made a metal weight to fit to the end of the bolts, attach the line and fire away. Worked well when got the hang of it and would reach about 15m up which was not that bad. Problem is it only weights about 6oz so as to get the height but the weight is a bit light to pull the line down the other side!

Used it on a job where we were deadwooding loads of trees, so up and down all day. You do have to stay clear of the falling bolt so not best used in Mr Jones's garden! lol. Sights on the crossbow worked well and got the vee I was aiming at most of the time. Saves having to spend on a big shot for the time being!!

SAM_0280.jpg.6d9463a5846cdb6af099b798bf097d61.jpg

SAM_0269.jpg.99515c62bccd3d7b0b1920cae8265353.jpg

SAM_0268.jpg.2da0bbe5fd39fd3f7cac732fb7f9a5e4.jpg

SAM_0266.jpg.a0b2196e8ff963fb334188ed8a15e746.jpg

Whatever works for you..couldn,t use it in Central london,especially during the Olympics!..i can see why you have to be careful of the returning bolt but always wear a helmet..and keep your eyes protected....loving the pictures...all the green open spaces and leaf litter everywhere,reminds me of home...in the meantime i,ll stick to my throwbag..i,m like Spiderman!

if your having trouble getting the line down try using some heavy duty fishing braid instead, i use 40kg power pro.

it will put meters on the distance of a shot as well

you could pull your rope up with it but it's a little like cheese wire on the hands so i pull a throw line up then pull my rope up with that,

If you put the braid on a cheap fishing reel you could mount it to the underside of your cross bow, would look slick as

if your having trouble getting the line down try using some heavy duty fishing braid instead, i use 40kg power pro.

it will put meters on the distance of a shot as well

you could pull your rope up with it but it's a little like cheese wire on the hands so i pull a throw line up then pull my rope up with that,

If you put the braid on a cheap fishing reel you could mount it to the underside of your cross bow, would look slick as

There's a video of something like that on the Redwoods in the states, I think they call it 'tree fishing' or something? :thumbup1:

There's a video of something like that on the Redwoods in the states, I think they call it 'tree fishing' or something? :thumbup1:

Yeah we use exactly that setup here in Aus for our big tree stuff. 200 pound crossbow and fishing braid. Can set lines up around 70m.