After my first chipper..!!

jnoon

I don't really agree with the argument that buying a used 6" chipper is such a risk as people make out. Take a timberwolf 150 for example lets say you brought one for 4-5k, the likelyhood is quite certain that in the near future it will need parts replacing but big deal- another grand would buy you quite a lot of new parts and all the more if you can fit them yourself and you will end up with a good chipper for less than half of a new one. The engines/ hydraulics etc are pretty bombproof on these anyway so propbably the money will be spent on anvils/bearings/rollers anyway which once brought will give you as much life as a new chipper.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really agree with the argument that buying a used 6" chipper is such a risk as people make out. Take a timberwolf 150 for example lets say you brought one for 4-5k, the likelyhood is quite certain that in the near future it will need parts replacing but big deal- another grand would buy you quite a lot of new parts and all the more if you can fit them yourself and you will end up with a good chipper for less than half of a new one. The engines/ hydraulics etc are pretty bombproof on these anyway so propbably the money will be spent on anvils/bearings/rollers anyway which once brought will give you as much life as a new chipper.

The chassis on the timberwolfs is what goes after a good few years :thumbdown:

well, good thing about TWs is everthing is easily replaced, they are bit like meccano really, everything bolts off easily. Thats why I like them cos they are good and basic. Mine is on 1600 hours (tracked) at the mo and its a belter, I replaced quite a few parts but Id like to think it'll go on for another 1600 before i consider replacing it

The idea that new chipper don't break down and need parts is IME utter nonsense, OK for the first years the warranty covers the cost of most repairs, but not the down time, but if you have finance for 5 years, 4 of those years it has no warranty.

i bought a old 4 inch entec, worked great for about a yr, then had problems constantly. in the end even the timberwolf dealers couldnt fix it!

got a brand new 125 and have never looked back ( that was 5 yrs ago).

personally i find everything in the tree game from you rake to your truck takes a beating, buying second hand is just asking for trouble.

Yes find if you have the tools, knowledge space and time to repair your own then crack on.

If i lose 1 days work from a broken machine thats at least 2 months paymeants for the chipper!

not to mention the cost to repair and the headache it brings.

Always buy the newest u can.

I bought a 150 from a main dealer for 7k. They told me they serviced it from new it had 1100 hrs on the clock. I replaced everything on it engine, rollers and hydaulics the lot. Turned out they were talking crap. I rebuilt into a great little machine. I would be very wary of buying second hand and would look very carefully.

I traded it in as the deal I got offered on a jensen was to good to turn down and as contracts were getting bigger it seamed to be a good thing to do. The person who has my timberwolf now has a cracker but dont regreat trading it in.

My advice now would be buy the best you can when you can afford it. If your only doing it a bit look into hireing or just asking a local firm to pop by at the end of the day with theres for a bit of beer money. I did that at the start. Dont rush in only fools do that. I was a fool. It was all to shiney at the time.