Husq XP Saw = XP Oil mix?

raafbeard

Shall we say I had an unfortunate incident which resulted in a siezed 372. (14 months old with very infrequent but heavy use)

Speaking to a Dealer (chainsaw) yesterday I was told that newer XP saws should really be run on XP oil mix only as other brands (Stihl) are not sufficient

to lubricate the saw properly - due to higher working rpm.

Anybody got an comments on this? Or maybe this will prevent someone else ruining a saw. I know that I would only use XP oil from now on as I cannot run the risk of further seizures.

I was also told that pattern parts are not worth the effort I am inclined to agree that most of them proberly are...but if anyone knows of bulletproof pattern parts I am all ears.

Thanks

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shall we say I had an unfortunate incident which resulted in a siezed 372. (14 months old with very infrequent but heavy use)

Speaking to a Dealer (chainsaw) yesterday I was told that newer XP saws should really be run on XP oil mix only as other brands (Stihl) are not sufficient

to lubricate the saw properly - due to higher working rpm.

Anybody got an comments on this? Or maybe this will prevent someone else ruining a saw. I know that I would only use XP oil from now on as I cannot run the risk of further seizures.

I was also told that pattern parts are not worth the effort I am inclined to agree that most of them proberly are...but if anyone knows of bulletproof pattern parts I am all ears.

Thanks

Hi . Sorry to heasr you have had a miss- hap . I run all my XP saws on my dealers own brand of 2 stroke oil and never had any problems . This includes a 372 such as yours . I could be wrong here but I think it is a Marketing ploy . You should use a good quality oil and mix it correctly . I would think it more likely you have had an air leak some were and it has run lean ? Spud will be along to advise on the decent aftermarket parts and not so good ones When he reads this I am sure. He likes to salvage the oem pot if at all possible and use a quality piston such as Metior I think .

Andy has written my normal method, I always try to salvage the original cylinder and have done some really nasty looking ones - look at the what's om my bench thread.

Pistons - Meteor are damn good and Italian produced.

The oil thing, my 346 runs at around 14600rpm on stihl HP so it is rowlocks.

Not trying to push Aspen here, but all the Husqvarna books I have seen so far reccomend the use of Aspen fuel.

Now Aspen is premixed with Aspens own 2 stroke oil, not XP, so this would suggest that XP is not needed when using petrol.

I guess the issue is more that an oil of equivalent grade to XP (jaso FD) should be used, rather than some cheap non branded oil.

Our Husky delaer stocks various 2 stroke oils and has never pushed any particular oil. He reckons he sells more Oregon to pros than owt else.

As far as I can remember I've never used anything other than Oregon over the last 12 years and have been OK so far.

Do the newer saws really rev that much higher?

I run mine on the normal Stihl mix with no probs, but after buying a 'tiny tacho' I realized after setting my saws down a bit, that most of the saws I hear mainly 200T are over revving say 15+k (now I know what 14.5k should sound like) and they are doing fine.

I did meet one guy who have x3 saws seize up and claimed 'it can't be me' but I spotted him filling up with neat fuel and adding a bit of 2T.

When you say infrequent, that may be a clue to your probs:sneaky2: Fuel separating etc.

I run an old 266XP that runs hard at time on 50:1 Stihl no probs

Normal reasons for saws seizing are: -

1) Old fuel mix being used - the petrol destroys the oil properties after being mixed for a period of time. Leaving a saw on the shelf for three months fueled and then doing big long cuts will kill a saw

2) Air leaks - these have the effect of leaning the mix down and causing over revving at the top end and a wandering or high idle speed.

3) Carb H setting being too lean, for those that don't know, the carb H setting is a fuel based rev limiter, set it too lean, the saw revs too fast and it will overheat and seize

Very generally, most of what I see is old mix and bad carb settings killing saws.

Aspen is a good solution but so is using fresh mix with a good quality oil and emptying old mix in to your lawnmower etc

Thanks for the replies. I was a little surprised to hear that only XP oil was suitable as have not heard of anyone running different mixes for different saws.

Think I have to assume that I messed up - and launching my saw into some long carving cuts (albeit warmed up) has done the damage...stupid carving! :sneaky2:

Thanks for the replies. I was a little surprised to hear that only XP oil was suitable as have not heard of anyone running different mixes for different saws.

Think I have to assume that I messed up - and launching my saw into some long carving cuts (albeit warmed up) has done the damage...stupid carving! :sneaky2:

I don't think it would have been working your saw hard from the off caused the problem .There will be some other factor like an air leak , carb settings wrong or wrong mix ratio .