10 acre clear fell, 15 year old pine trees, what could the timber be used for?

There's always money in timber if you're willing to put the work in . . . .having said that what you're speaking of sounds like a loss leader. Do remember that there are a lot of savvy land owners out there that know what they have and often what its worth.

Tread carefully.

Cheers,

Andrew

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The product is too young to be of any value, unless you're the type to get pleasure out of making your own fence posts I'd leave it. Unless you can get wig support. You'd need masses of timber to make it commercially viable.... Find your local Nptc trainer/accessor and let them use it for training then get it felled for free.

---

I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?kpd4y5

Mini harvester might be able to munch through it at a rate that could be profitable - are there even many in the country?

If I had the time and money, I'd love one of these:

Usewood Pro - Small Harvester

That would be cool. I still have a hankering for a Vimek 404T (i think it was) but don't fancy the headaches of keeping it in work.

thanks still waiting for pics to be sent back to me at the moment

At the risk of telling you how to do it, make sure you walk the WHOLE site before commiting to anything - quite often you'll find something that could slow the whole job down if you're not ready for it.

• 3 months later...

Chances are if it's only 15 yrs old it's deaths size (7cm dbh) that's licence able. Make sure you check that it's not still covered by a grant scheme or they might have to pa the grant back.

There will hardly be any timber in it, mainly brash....

In forestry you don't even generally thin conifer plantations until they are 20 yrs old. Even then it's not really economic to do so but adds value long term to the crop.

• 2 months later...