10 acre clear fell, 15 year old pine trees, what could the timber be used for?

Hi all,

just recieved a phonecall, A lady has 10 acres of mixed pine/fir trees that she wants clear felled, im hoping to go and see the job later and take a few pics ( weather depending). ive been told the timber is mixed, and around 10-15 years old. she doesnt want to pay so the timber is mine if i want it, assuming this is correct what could the timber be used for?,:confused1: I try to avoid selling softwood logs if i can help it.

could it be used for posts/pulp...??

please help

will try and upload pics later, thanks

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will you get a felling licence for that? They (FC) will want it re-planting anyway, assuming she is wanting to re-plant with broadleaves she would be better heavily thinning the softwoods and keeping them as a nurse crop...

She doesn't want to pay? So your going to clear fell 10 acres for free?? :confused1::confused1:

Forget the wood and charge for felling

Thats the hint i get, i put an advert in the local small holders mag firewood wanted standing or felled, thinking it would come in dribs and drabs not 10 acres:lol:, well will have to go and speak to the lady, i didnt know if enough profit could be made selling the timber to make it viable to not charge for felling. it may not be thats why im asking:001_smile:

Will you get a felling licence for that? They (FC) will want it re-planting anyway, assuming she is wanting to re-plant with broadleaves she would be better heavily thinning the softwoods and keeping them as a nurse crop...

Thats one idea i did have, and yes i would have to get a licence, but im pretty sure from the conversation she wants it clear felled.

I honestly cannot believe that would you even contemplate felling any trees/s for nothing just to get some wood. The mind boggles!!

At the start of the year i was getting a bit worried as i had ran out of logs, and customers from tree jobs seemed to be keeping all the timber, so i needed a stock pile for logs this winter, the advert was free to put in the mag so i thought i couldnt hurt, now however, i have approx 30 tonne, mixed ash/oak/birch/alder so im fine on the log front,

I honestly cannot believe that would you even contemplate felling any trees/s for nothing just to get some wood. The mind boggles!!

There's a whole industry revolves around buying standing trees, it's called Forestry :lol:

However, at 15 years old they aren't going to be very productive and chances are it's a right tangly mess that's never been touched since planting and I'd be surprised if you could get a felling license to clearfell it as young as that.

Fencing materials is a ball ache for little return too. Sounds like Chip would be best bet and even then it's not a great return, especially pine.

If you've no gear for extraction I'd say leave it to someone who has.

Edited by Chris Sheppard
missed a bit