Climate change- discuss

I used to worry about climate change, wasting of resources etc. But, if I were that concerned, then I'd have to give up most of my interests. Wasting petrol in my enduro bike, wasting fuel in the truck to go fishing, taking the dog to shoots, taking me out et al.

I try to do my bit by buying locally, trying not to buy Chinese crap (impossible) :001_smile: and generally supporting local businesses. My small attempts are probably just whistling in the wind when compared to the outputs of India, China or just natural occurences.

It now seems to me that 'global warming' has become a handy cash cow for our governments and they're milking it for all its worth.

I know exactly what you mean - My thoughts are 'well what can I do about it?' - I try and give money regularly to the ITF www.internationaltreefoundation.org/ although only when my credit card is £0!

:001_smile:

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

James Lovelock is an eminent scientist who invented the electron detector for the gas spectrometer in his garage in his spare time.

I agree with Lovelock on many things, not a big fan of his Nuclear stance. Are you disagreeing with this eminent scientist or just expounding forum etiquette for quoting?

Climate always changed, it's the one constant you can rely on...

...along with tax :biggrin:

i am frightened of climate change,not for me,for my kids,they are gonna reap what we and our grandparents have sown,and im pretty sure it aint gonna be pretty

When I was a boy in the 70's my brother was terrified of nuclear war, I wonder how many hours he wasted worrying about it???

Best not to worry about things over which we have little or no control.

Growing up I remember doom merchants, before the year 2000 we were going to run out of oil, the population would reach 10billion, etc,etc..............:001_rolleyes:

On the eve of India’s independence, Mahatma Gandhi was asked whether he thought the country could follow the British model of industrial development. His response retains a powerful resonance in a world that has to redefine its relation to the earth’s ecology: "It took Britain half the resources of this planet to achieve its prosperity. How many planets will India require for development?"

Well put, but the idea of an ever increasingly sophisticated civilization is to produce energy through means such as ionization and not fossil fuels. Britain's rise was in a none technological age. We already have the means to produce clean energy on a scale which eclipses the current fossil fuel method, this is not an opinion it is a fact. The globe must rearrange its cards and do away with oil companies, they control the energy related problems of the planet. BP continually buys patents for green energy so as to not be threatened. It will be down to developed countries to overhaul the reliance of oil as a currency thereby allowing developing giants like China and India the opportunity of modernizing without laying waste to the planet.

Strikes me posters are just coming out with either stuff they have heard/ believe/ been told. No real facts.

It's not having a problem that matters. Its having the resolve to deal with it.

Nuclear armageddon was avoided because people cared- remember greenham CND Glastonbury etc- was it SALT talks early 80's that put an end to the race and then obviously the fall of the iron curtain.

If we can control our environment (preferably above freezing) we will survive. If we can't then it's goodbye. It's likely rich nations will survive best as they will be able to afford resources or have the weapons to get them.

So there you go- as a nation we need to be rich- as a planet we need to think=

Sorted

I believe it is called Capitalism, done all the time buying out other tech. for the sake of milking existing tech to it's end. All and all I stick to my orinigal thought on this topic. This after noon there is a really good chance for rain, Why?, becuse were in the rainy season and usually that means rain most every afternoon. Some people may think that odd we have a rainy season. I call it the weather running it's cycles out and nature really calls all of the shots in the end.

easy-lift guy

Strikes me posters are just coming out with either stuff they have heard/ believe/ been told. No real facts.

It's not having a problem that matters. Its having the resolve to deal with it.

Nuclear armageddon was avoided because people cared- remember greenham CND Glastonbury etc- was it SALT talks early 80's that put an end to the race and then obviously the fall of the iron curtain.

If we can control our environment (preferably above freezing) we will survive. If we can't then it's goodbye. It's likely rich nations will survive best as they will be able to afford resources or have the weapons to get them.

So there you go- as a nation we need to be rich- as a planet we need to think=

Sorted

What evidence do you have for this???????????:confused1: