Climate change- discuss

I used to worry about climate change, wasting of resources etc. But, if I were that concerned, then I'd have to give up most of my interests. Wasting petrol in my enduro bike, wasting fuel in the truck to go fishing, taking the dog to shoots, taking me out et al.

I try to do my bit by buying locally, trying not to buy Chinese crap (impossible) :001_smile: and generally supporting local businesses. My small attempts are probably just whistling in the wind when compared to the outputs of India, China or just natural occurences.

It now seems to me that 'global warming' has become a handy cash cow for our governments and they're milking it for all its worth.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It now seems to me that 'global warming' has become a handy cash cow for our governments and they're milking it for all its worth.

Not just governments.

Religion was a real money spinner, but many have woken up the the reality of evolution etc, so "going green" is the new religion and many are using it to cash in :sneaky2:

Anyone who thinks we have not made a major impact on the planet needs to take a look in the mirror and ask themselves a serious question! Am I for real?

Of course we've had an impact. We've created the British landscape for a start. Is our impact as big as made out in certain quarters? There seems to be as much evidence against as for. You pays your money....

Climate change? Food security, Water shortages? Housing shortages etc

We need the resources of 4 planet earths if everyone was to live at the same standard as the west does now. The elephant in the room is population growth and I doubt very much this will be on the political agenda any time soon.

Anyone who thinks we have not made a major impact on the planet needs to take a look in the mirror and ask themselves a serious question! Am I for real?

On the eve of India’s independence, Mahatma Gandhi was asked whether he thought the country could follow the British model of industrial development. His response retains a powerful resonance in a world that has to redefine its relation to the earth’s ecology: "It took Britain half the resources of this planet to achieve its prosperity. How many planets will India require for development?"

Other organisms on the planet have caused climate change in the past and I’m sure future organisms will do in the future, the point is not about whether the planet is used to massive and rapid changes (it is) but whether we as a species, have assumed that we live on a stable planet, so have run up an unsustainable population coupled with the demise of an easily availability of hydrocarbons, it is fairly obvious that in the future we are going to run into some serious problems. But on the basis that if we are luckily we only live for c.80 years then there is not a lot of incentive for us to do anything about it. In fact the only thing we could do would be to have less children, kill ourselves, or deny citizens of developing nations the joys of owning a car. It is not hopeless but it is a dead cert. Probably best to plan for the worst and hope for the best - which in the UK might be an improvement.

p.s the limestone of Yorkshire were created when the UK was situated over the tropics.

James Lovelock is an eminent scientist who invented the electron detector for the gas spectrometer in his garage in his spare time.

The GC and his detector is how other scientists to this day detect how much of something is in something else. For example.. how much pesticide residue is in your food.

Quoting the tabloid journalism that you have quoted in your link, in no way diminishes this mans clout.

When you google stuff you need to check its credibility preferably by cross referencing with other sources:001_cool: