Climate change- discuss

It's highly likely that increasing carbon will lead to global warming in the short term.

In the long term it's likely that the planet will change and balance will resume. At what level that balance who knows- the Earth has been through a fair few changes (atmospheric) in its brief history and I'm damn sure doesn't give a hoot about us or indeed any other life kicking around on her surface.

We need to understand how she reacts to all scenarios so that we are prepared to change or indeed prepared to step in and alter the atmosphere to suit us.

I'm sure we will sus it and probably make a few mistakes along the way. We need prophets of doom to shake up our complacency and make us better prepared. Doesn't mean they are right but it doesn't mean they are wrong either so it's up to us to take stock.

Its human nature to be lazy and greedy, greed allows us to get lazy, and we can be lazy cos were greedy.

The eco system we evolved in is dying, we are in danger of pushing a threshold that is akin to that of a supreme pathogen that wipes out its hosts to extinction, the pathogen dies along with its hosts, that is basic ecosystem functioning, you arent allowed to break this rule and live.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm ashamed to say I didn't watch every video Tony, not out of awkwardness, just out of time available, and I took your word for it that there would be a genuinely balanced opinion so my own view would be unlikely to have changed by the end of it... But like others I tend to agree that me personally and the UK as a Nation can have little effect on climate change at this stage. We perhaps could have if we'd shot the likes of Brunel, Telford etc at birth maybe.... We're a very clean little nation, but the key is in little. Climate change depends on volume and we're a low volume generator on the world stage and likely to become even less of a player in terms of T/Co2 generated as time goes by, unless you count that produced by China on our behalf as ours... It's also become painfully clear that other nations couldn't give two hoots what we have to say so we're unlikely to be able to influence our less considerate cousins.

I recycle what I can, try to drive with a light right foot, avoid flying, turn my lights off and buy UK prduced or locally grown goods wherever possible. If there's anything more I can do to make a real difference to mother earth please tell me, because I'll gladly do it, but I maintain that even if every single person on our island ceased to exist tomorrow, it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference to the global climate... So I don't think it's a lost cause because I can't be bothered, I think it's a lost cause because there are emerging economies driven by the greed which drove our own 100 plus years ago, only they don't have the excuse of ignorance and are merrily consuming resources and tainting our planet with little or no thought to the consequences...

And regarding what keeps the core hot, that's simply lack of knowledge and understanding on my part, not deliberate ignorance.... :blushing:

When Mount Saint Helens blow in 1980 it released more carbon than every combustion engine that had ever been produced.

And there have been many other volcanic irruption's in the last 10000 years.

If I go walking in the Yorkshire dales, under my feet is limestone, that limestone is the skeletons of millions of sea creatures, those were tropical sea creatures, so many years ago it was much warmer round here and no doubt it will be warmer round here again one day, I just wish it would hurry up!!!!:001_tt2:

We are like ants on the bonnet of a car, the engine of the car has just started up and we in our hubris think we are responsible for the engine starting, but in reality the car engine starts at this time every morning, its just that we have been here for such a short time that we don't know that.

HUH :confused1:

I dont get this subject - some people are saying the world is warming up because some polar bears house has melted but we haven't had a summer for about 3 years.

Its mid june and about 11 degrees and doesnt look to get warmer later in the week.

I dont know why the polar bears house melted and I dont know why its june and Im freezing... but if anyone is to blame im pretty sure my chainsaws and 4x4 dont contribute enough for me to care...

Im a tiny fish in a massive ocean... them huge burners in China etc do more damage than all of Englands 4x4s in my opinion.

I havent ever thought about the 'pollution' effect of anything i have ever done, due to the fact it will make such a tiny difference no one can ever notice it.

None of us know how we got here, nothing makes sense, so why dont we all chill out about stuff that makes no sense and enjoy it while were alive, the world isnt going to blow up anytime soon and if it does none of us will know much about it.

If people want to blame other people, blame the ones with a massive effect on it, and that isnt the UK!

Go and get in a 4x4, drive it quickly and have a fag... the penguins really wont know any difference.

Edited by Tom10

When Mount Saint Helens blow in 1980 it released more carbon than every combustion engine that had ever been produced.

Have you got any references for that? :001_tt2:

http://www.agu.org/pubs/pdf/2011EO240001.pdf

"The projected 2010 anthropogenic CO2 emission rate of 35 gigatons per year is 135 times greater than the 0.26-gigaton- per-year preferred estimate for volcanoes."

Edited by HCR