Climate change- discuss

First up a video illustrating the real extent of our problems.

James Balog: Time-lapse proof of extreme ice loss | Video on TED.com

This video is hinting at the local landscape level, harnessing local skills to manage local biomes

David Keith's unusual climate change idea | Video on TED.com

this next talk just illustrates what lengths are being gone too to uncover the systems parts.

Rachel Pike: The science behind a climate headline | Video on TED.com

check out the American coal industries propaganda!

Al Gore warns on latest climate trends | Video on TED.com

This video is a lot longer, but if you still doubt the magnitude of what we have to do...:001_rolleyes:

Al Gore's new thinking on the climate crisis | Video on TED.com

Cary Fowler: One seed at a time, protecting the future of food | Video on TED.com

thats enough to give a well rounded overview, discuss!

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On motorbike forums this sits nicely with the 'Which is better, shaft or chain?' thread :)

I think it's fair to say that there is no doubt that the world has become warmer over the last 150 years. It's also pretty much a given that a correlation exists between this warming and and the burning of fossil fuels. Any inferences drawn from that are down to the individual concerned ;)

Tony, Weather is cyclical. Al Gore is a Megelomaniac who actually believe the tripe spuing from his mouth and other body parts. Regarding the other links you posted I can't find the time to waste reviewing and disputing. Back to work.

easy-lift guy

Beautifully put!

I was wondering about this in a round about sort of way last night as I sat out enjoying a drink as the sun went down...

We're sitting on a massive fiery core right? And have a hot shiney sun beating down on us? But this hot shiney sun can't contribute a great deal to keeping our hot fiery core warm, because if it did, the polar ice caps would surely not exist... and we'd burn off like sultanas in hot cross buns in a toaster.... So this fiery core must have a finite lifespan, otherwise we'd all be using Thermos' lined with soil, so my concern is not so much getting too warm as when the middle finally does go cold, the whole planet will become too cold to exist on. Although not in our lifetime....

And then I decided that it must all be magical and had another drink....

I'm a little bit skeptical about climate change because on the one hand, I don't contribute a fat lot to global warming, and 99% of houses in the UK going carbon neutral will still not scratch the surface of what China etc are knocking out, so I reckon for everyone in the west, it's just a bit money spinner for government and industry....

On the other hand, anything which finally manages to wipe us pesky humans of the face of the earth is probably only a good thing so when the time comes, I'll take my medicine....

Tony, Weather is cyclical. Al Gore is a Megelomaniac who actually believe the tripe spuing from his mouth and other body parts. Regarding the other links you posted I can't find the time to waste reviewing and disputing. Back to work.

easy-lift guy

Your subject to the american propaganda, so fair enough! bahhhaa goes the sheep:biggrin:

I was wondering about this in a round about sort of way last night as I sat out enjoying a drink as the sun went down...

We're sitting on a massive fiery core right? And have a hot shiney sun beating down on us? But this hot shiney sun can't contribute a great deal to keeping our hot fiery core warm, because if it did, the polar ice caps would surely not exist... and we'd burn off like sultanas in hot cross buns in a toaster.... So this fiery core must have a finite lifespan, otherwise we'd all be using Thermos' lined with soil, so my concern is not so much getting too warm as when the middle finally does go cold, the whole planet will become too cold to exist on. Although not in our lifetime....

And then I decided that it must all be magical and had another drink....

Well maybe the core does have a lifespan, but not for a few billion years, dont forget it gains heat from radioactive decay & from friction caused by drag from the gravity of the sun /moon

I tend to agree with James Lovelock, that global warming is happening & its too late to do anything about it.

Edited by John Barleycorn
lsft out stuff

Listen, the polar ice caps REFLECT heat, thay also act like a cooling airconditioner. FACT it also contains much greenhouse gasses and see level potential.

the core is hot through gravitational forces FACT

LIFE balances itself and the climate, and has done since plants first created an atmosphere FACT

we have since the industrial revolution generated a global climate change that has not been normal in the last 10000 years, FACT.

Did you watch every video, that I spent three to four hours prepairing and watching and thinking about to illustrate the problem?

are you blind, or just afraid to admit it like everyone else

It's highly likely that increasing carbon will lead to global warming in the short term.

In the long term it's likely that the planet will change and balance will resume. At what level that balance who knows- the Earth has been through a fair few changes (atmospheric) in its brief history and I'm damn sure doesn't give a hoot about us or indeed any other life kicking around on her surface.

We need to understand how she reacts to all scenarios so that we are prepared to change or indeed prepared to step in and alter the atmosphere to suit us.

I'm sure we will sus it and probably make a few mistakes along the way. We need prophets of doom to shake up our complacency and make us better prepared. Doesn't mean they are right but it doesn't mean they are wrong either so it's up to us to take stock.