letter recieved today

John Shutler

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice one peter

i would love to tell you what to say to him in explicit detail over the phone but it has been said to keep it family friendly:001_smile:

tell him to jog on, and find another muppet to menace for money. seriously don't enter into any argument in letters just let your old man give him a real run around. The other guys responses are spot on your not to blame the tennant and landlord are: I bet you the prat even said yes to the works so he could try this on!!!!

When i started out i did a job that ended up really wrecking my confidence. Similar to this a tennant got me in to erect a fence and gate which was a really good job and they were happy with. two weeks later she phones and asks for another reciept so she can claim the money back through landlord. Another two weeks later i get a letter threatening legal action and tv appearences, media blah blah blah, unless basically i give her her money back.:scared1:

to cut the story down it went on for 3 months and as far as trading standards, and i had nothing to hide and i told them i had had enough and i was drawing a line underneath the whole episode. phoned her up and told her never to contact me again or i would pursue her for damages. The last phone conversation was very heated and i put it to her she was trying to get her money back because her landlord had autherised the work but refused to pay! she almost addmited it!!!!!!:mad1:

so in short this is probably doing your head in (like it did mine)but go with the flow and hopefully this guy gets the point that your not a push over. don't let it knock your confidence coz you will be laughing about it soon :001_smile:

Good luck with this one. I don't think you'll need it as it looks pretty cut and dried. If it were me I would start a counter claim straight away for the time and inconvenience this is costing your business. Usually a counter claim from your solicitor shows you have intent to take it all the way. start with claiming top dollar for everey second he has taken including the first meeting, time to read the letter and the time on arbtalk. I might also throw in a claim against him for how long it's taken to read the entire thread and type this post.

Peter's future letter thing had me in stitches.

Having read the letter I believe it would amount to, in strict legal jargon, "trying it on".

Like another poster stated, you acted entirely in good faith and I don't think it's reasonable for you to ask for property deeds from every client who instructs you. If anything, his claim is against his tenant, the only person who was aware of the constraints on the site.

Happy non-litigious christmas to all!! :001_smile:

You are doing the right thing, let the lawyer deal with it and try and move on, it is hard to do because it eats away at you. I had a mentalist on the phone saying i stole his fence. I took down some bushes for a guy(JIM) and there was a pumped old fence amongst it. they didnt know it was even there so he asked if i could take it away. so i through it on the trailer. This was the nieghbour phoning 10 days later to have a go. i told him to take it up with the first guy. long story short, he couldnt get anywhere with jim because he told him point blank to go and xxxx himself and closed the door. so it took him 10 days to call me to blame. I laughed and told him to do what ever he wanted. 5 minutes in the police station the next day and that was that. the police didnt care, they have enough to do. that was months ago, havent heard a squeak.Lawyers letter straight away to show him you aint a pussy.

As i said yesterday i was getting bumped for 5k, lawyer got onto him yesterday with recorded delivery and the cheque is in my account today. lets hope it clears.