letter recieved today

John Shutler

What a nasty situation! This is why we have insurance, many people to not have instant access to their deeds, and we have to take their word for it. If I doubt ownership, I do a bit of digging around, chat to old folk in the village etc, but this isnt a hard and fast guarantee. Do you have any photographic evidence of the state of the trees? Even checks with the Land Registry arent always the answer, they seem to be behind on paperwork sometimes. Best of Luck mate

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO if the person living at the address authorises you to do the work it is their responsibility to put right the "damage"

They know as tennants they need authorisation for repairs or works to the property, you don't unless they make you aware.

I wouldn't even waste my time replying, just ignore the letter, if you correspond you give them ammo.

I was once told by a solicitor not to write a reply to a neighbour wanting to claim off me, it worked. I just ignored all the letters and eventually they gave up.

Take legal advice asap. Your insurer is there to pay for accidents not negligence ( I don't think you were negligent BTW). By contacting your insurer you could be seen to be admiting liability and therefore in the **** as I doubt your insurer would pay out.

I would like to think that a solicitor would laugh at that letter and tell you not to worry, but this country's legal system does some weird things these days.

IMO the owner should sue the tennant and possibly have them charged with criminal dammage.

What a weird one. Good on you for keeping hold of notes on the trees and leaving a paper trail - could have been awkward if it had been a verbal quote and cash!

As others have said - it seems the tenant is more at fault than you - I expect she has a snotty letter too. Hope you come out unscathed.

Your insurers will blow him off (if you let him contact them) His argument is with the person who instructed the works. Your duty of care is fulfilled.

Andy

I agree. His claim lies with the tenant not you John.

However, I would imagine he considers your insurance company a softer touch than dragging his tenant through the courts.

Best of luck with the fool. :D

one of the things that annoys me is that the letter is so badly written,it is full of inacuracys and typos.he supposedly runs an accounting and buissness management firm,. does that strike you as aletter from a professional person it really pisses me of that he clearly thinks he can scare me into giving in and admitting liability because im half his age(im 25)

ive been advisesd to include my insurance details in my solicitors letter but also to speak to the nfu and tell them what is going on.

the state of the trees was appalling, should he not of had some duty of care to his tennants to make sure the trees were safe

tennants problem mate.

look at it like this

if you were a painter and turned up at a house under the occupiers instruction and decorated a room an later found out the occupier was a tennant, how were you to know.

is this then graffitti/ vandalism.

the tennant knew full well what they were asking and doing, as long as you checked for a TPOor Conservation order then you are fine.

why should you do a land registry check also