Ash disease heads up

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I seem to remember Gerrit warning us to be on the look out for Chalara, its a bit worrying... why the hell do we need to import ash trees anyway?!

How many non natives causing huge problems have we had through imports in the last 50, or even just 10 years? It's frightening, and somewhat preventable :thumbdown:

I am aware of one site where this has been confirmed and the nursery came out very quickly and removed all the supplied ash trees this was up on the North Herts/Essex border, the main worry now is that they were planted following a thinning in a mature ash woodland, so there is a chance in the 2months they were in they could have transfered it into the wider woodland.

since the elms nearly every species has had a disease or condition that has threatened to wipe it out.

Luckily most seem to fizzle out without wiping them all out.

Surely it,s time we started not allowing the imports or at least giving some assistance to grow trees in this country.

I always stipulate uk only trees and have paid more for locally grown which in all reality grow better anyhow.

P.s it was in the sun today as well so it must be true:thumbup:

This is mental there is something fundementaly wrong when we import trees.

I mean we have chestnut blight and now this because we imported trees that are well naturalised here and as for the native ash, what the hell the things self seeding everywhere why the hell was we importing this of all species?

no wonder this country is going down the swanny. we should be EXPORTING THEM!

More work for meeee, proper job :thumbup:

Seriously? Yeah it would be great if all our big ash died and needed removing. Think of the firewood and extra work,

who gives a hoot about the loss of em! (I can type bold, italic and underlined; where do I make it sarcastic?)

This is mental there is something fundementaly wrong when we import trees.

we should be EXPORTING THEM!

I'm not so sure, what if we introduce a problem elsewhere? Let's keep ours, and they can keep theirs. Some import/exports should be restricted more, even if global trade has gone on for centuries. Maybe importing and growing seeds Victorian style would be less harmful to our ecosystems; however, look at knotweed...:banghead:

if we import an ash tree is it then native?

I'd have said it is a native species, of non native provence. But stand to be corrected...

I read somewhere that the customers that bought these 1-1.5m trees have been contacted and told to destroy them. Because the Environment Agency wont let you burn them, they have to cut them into sections and double bag them and throw them into landfill. Mmm plastic and contaminated cuttings going to landfill....sensible!