Nz work

So how would you compare NZ to the UK in this respect? More comfortable or even tighter on cash?

Not going out there for money aspects but it is nice to try to get an idea of how it would be financially as a tree surgeon out there.

Tit for tat really. Cars are probably a little cheaper along with fuel, insurance and other odds and sods. Food, white goods and general everyday stuff is way more expensive but you work around it and get used to it. You should earn enough to be comfortable but not if you're intending to buy or rent a house on your own. Like Drew says; it's not about the money it's about NZ and it's worth earning a little less and having all that this place offers.

hey bro,

i'm from ireland livin in welly, work is good here, good mix of everything from big gums to annoyng multi stems to just about everything in between! i was thinking about going to perth, my buddy is living over there and earning exactly double what i'm on here! you do have to watch the penny's here but we have found the weekend markets great, cheap veggies and stuff, you have to get into the habit of doing alot of your own cooking rather than picking up food on the run cause your wages just vanish otherwise!

there's plenty of work for arborists here, british trained in particular as they've only just started proper training in the last few years it seems, you apparently get alot of cowboys tryin their hand at it with no clue what they are at for instance before i started work at my current job they had to do an emergency take down after some gardener tried to fell a giant pine next to a couple of houses on a step ladder with a electric chainsaw! :confused1: !

aside from the money thing its a great country to live in enjoy!

Cool thanks for the response guys :).

As I say the mention of money from me was'nt intended as a 'how rich will I be' question, just wanted to know how comfortable I'd be, could I afford to eat properly, get a car, rent etc etc. But you have answered my question so thank you :D

Been looking on a website called nzflatmates where you can contact people about flat sharing before you even go out there, this is what I would do at first as I appreciate taking a flat/house on on your own would definately be a struggle ... plus what better way to start off your social life out there.

Will, my mate who used to ground for me moved to Auckland a couple of years ago and works for Asplundh.

Give me a shout if you want him to put some feelers out for you, or I could put you in touch with him.

Where are you from mate? Otterburn here (Elsdon if you know it).

Cool thanks for the response guys :).

As I say the mention of money from me was'nt intended as a 'how rich will I be' question, just wanted to know how comfortable I'd be, could I afford to eat properly, get a car, rent etc etc. But you have answered my question so thank you :D

Been looking on a website called nzflatmates where you can contact people about flat sharing before you even go out there, this is what I would do at first as I appreciate taking a flat/house on on your own would definately be a struggle ... plus what better way to start off your social life out there.

If it helps; I doubt you're going to be on the bones of your arse. You'll get by just fine.

• 3 weeks later...

I spent last year in Auckland, found work within a couple of weeks of getting there, found a cheap motor that did the day to day stuff no worries and drove me from Dunedin to Cape Reinga without any hassle, found a sweet houseshare in Mt Eden for a fraction of what I pay for a pokey flat here in Bristol. Found all that through Trademe, couldn't believe how easy it was for me to get started there. I was on $20p/h which I believe was a lower than average wage for trained arbs. I was more than happy on that, was never short on cash like I am constantly here and I was always out on roadtrips and doing the social thing in the city too. I even saved enough $$$ over 3 or 4 months for a 1 month trip to Malaysia. I had to come back to the UK for various reasons, but miss NZ hugely. Life really is sweeter over there and as you may have gathered, I had no money problems even on a low wage. You'll have your backside worked off, but it's proper work - the kind that has you crashed out on the sofa the second you get home - you will enjoy every second.

I spent last year in Auckland, found work within a couple of weeks of getting there, found a cheap motor that did the day to day stuff no worries and drove me from Dunedin to Cape Reinga without any hassle, found a sweet houseshare in Mt Eden for a fraction of what I pay for a pokey flat here in Bristol. Found all that through Trademe, couldn't believe how easy it was for me to get started there. I was on $20p/h which I believe was a lower than average wage for trained arbs. I was more than happy on that, was never short on cash like I am constantly here and I was always out on roadtrips and doing the social thing in the city too. I even saved enough $$$ over 3 or 4 months for a 1 month trip to Malaysia. I had to come back to the UK for various reasons, but miss NZ hugely. Life really is sweeter over there and as you may have gathered, I had no money problems even on a low wage. You'll have your backside worked off, but it's proper work - the kind that has you crashed out on the sofa the second you get home - you will enjoy every second.

Sounds good mate :001_cool: Have previously been told about trademe and it seems very popular. Think I will be on a similar wage, which is far better than I've been on in England. I've already signed up to a cycling forum out there and have been looking up local shop rides, as I've heard road cycling is very popular out there and it's a sport I used to be heavily involved in but would love to get back into. Just a waiting game at the moment for my passport renewal and visa to come through but really can't wait to get out there!