Bolting a Tree

Tatsuo

A Monterey Cypress has one leader that has split axially. I have ratchet-strapped the branch so it will not fail further. The client wants to retain the tree: we reduced the crown and I started to drill a hole for a threaded rod, but got no further than 50mm before my 10mm flat wood drill got stuck. I was using a De Walt 18volt impact driver.

Does anyone know how to drill a tree without getting bits stuck? SDS drill? Stihl Wood Drill? What drill bits to use? I know a Stihl wood drill is used in the States, but I have no idea where to hire one here. The length of drill required is around 1 metre.

Any help appreciated!

How does one leader split axially; can't picture that. Anyway, a De Walt 18volt impact driver should have the muscle for the job.

"Does anyone know how to drill a tree without getting bits stuck?

The bit needs to be backed out and the channel cleared frequently. If the bit gets hot, wait for it to cool. i get bits stuck--too often--when I am impatient.:001_rolleyes: Backing them out to free them using vise grips is o so much fun--not!

"What drill bits to use?

Fluted the whole way is best--they call them ship's augers in the US.

I have a BT45 Stihl wood drill, but my Dewalt 18v drill--not impact driver--works well on 1/4" 10mm holes. So the rod is 3/16" ~8mm then?

Best of luck--got a pic?

Thanks for your help :)

The stem has failed from a compression fork high up, and the split has continued 3 metres down the length of the stem. I was using a 10mm spade bit - obviously a bad call there! The fluted bit sounds like the job...where do you get these from? I will need to drill about 1 metre through two parts of the stem.

I was going to use 10mm rods, but I am sensing I will need a larger hole for this? Thought I might get away with tapping it through?

O so it's a codom split then; got it. And I meant nothing personal by asking about the size of your rod.

" The fluted bit sounds like the job...where do you get these from?"

The US where I live. :001_tt2: They should be easy to find.

"I will need to drill about 1 metre through two parts of the stem.

Good call on welding on an extension.

'I was going to use 10mm rods, but I am sensing I will need a larger hole for this? Thought I might get away with tapping it through?[

Tapping :laugh1: you might be swinging a sledgehammer and still not get it through--just feel the way it grips your bit! I don't work with cypress much, but generally a hole >1.5 mm larger is needed to slide it in. Also your strap should be near the hole, to get the closest squeeze. Then you can close the crack by turning your nuts.

Innuendo unintended. :lol:

Edited by treeseer

I can't speak from experience on bolting trees, but I've stuck a few long bits of threaded rod through lumps of wood (bits of boat).

In my experience, long thin things don't stay straight, particularly when pushed (e.g. drill bits, bits of rod etc). The odds of having identical non-straightness on the drilled hole and the rod are nil. So, you'll need to ease it in. Hitting it will probably just bend it.

You could drill oversize by a fair amount so it slides more easily as has been suggested. I've gone up to 500mm through oak blocks without having to though. You could grind a slight taper on one end of the rod, and lock a pair of nuts together on the other end. Firstly, when you tap it in this stops the end of the thread from bruising. Secondly, once you reach the limit of what can sensibly be tapped, you can stick a spanner on the top nut and screw the rod in. The other thing I've found helps is to grease the rod. For bits of boat I just use ordinary mineral grease. Can't think that it would do much harm with what you're doing as it's pretty inert, but you could use vegetable grease if you preferred.

Alec

Thanks guys for all your very helpful advice. I have now had a 12mm fluted drill bit welded to a 1 metre 10mm rod, with the 1/4" hex shank to fit on my impact driver. All I need to do now is get back up that tree and start drilling! :001_smile:

Photos attached...

597660e20c909_Treedrill2.jpg.3e4609d414dfb84a533bdfb1dc5e9ab9.jpg

597660e20a6e7_Treedrill.jpg.ad551fe944fce24f22d5c2308666b026.jpg