This thread could potentially save a life

button1803

many thanks mate, hate to say it but i think from memory your blood groupmis one of the lowest stocks... the nhs said to me blood group 'o' has 20,500 units available, my blood group is ab positive but yours is even raerer than mine and my blood group has just 2,500 units available in east anglia! :thumbdown:

Yeah that's what I got told and that's why I give. I wouldn't want to hurt myself and not get the blood I need to survive.

It's not a hard thing to do, and someone once told me they didn't give as they can't stand needles, this is a poor excuse IMO.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah that's what I got told and that's why I give. I wouldn't want to hurt myself and not get the blood I need to survive.

It's not a hard thing to do, and someone once told me they didn't give as they can't stand needles, this is a poor excuse IMO.

my wife is terrified of needles but you know what in a years time when her body is back to normal, she will even come with me and donate her first pint of blood after all this too! :thumbup:

Congratulations on the birth of your son i know what a wonderful moment that is. I myself nearly lost both my son and my ex during labour an i know how horrible that is! Im glad you have your wife an your son an hope you have a lifetime of happiness together!

Thankyou for sharing!

Just think if you can loose 4 pints in 2mins from giving birth just imagine what could happen if you took a hit to a femoral artery??

Congratulations on the birth of your son i know what a wonderful moment that is. I myself nearly lost both my son and my ex during labour an i know how horrible that is! Im glad you have your wife an your son an hope you have a lifetime of happiness together!

Thankyou for sharing!

Just think if you can loose 4 pints in 2mins from giving birth just imagine what could happen if you took a hit to a femoral artery??

You get 30 seconds at best, if you only nick it. Cut it completely and you out. There is no coming back from that, and if you manage to survive longer than 30 seconds you are damn lucky and need to change career so you don't do it again.

You get 30 seconds at best, if you only nick it. Cut it completely and you out. There is no coming back from that, and if you manage to survive longer than 30 seconds you are damn lucky and need to change career so you don't do it again.

I can imagine! Thankfully I'v not had to deal with a femoral bleed before and hopefully never will! P.S didn't mean to change subject matter.

A terrifying event, glad she came through ok.

I became a donor after my wife was in hospital for 2 months with our daughter due to pre-eclampsia & SLE caused her kidneys to malfunction & lost blood protein, so needed a transfusion every day. A successful emergency caesarian at 7 months & 23 years later she is ok.

On blood types, remember that the classification consists of adding factors ie. everybody has the "o" , so that everybody can receive O negative blood.

"A" blood can receive "O" & "A"

"A Positive" can receive "O", "O Positive" and "A Positive"

and so on.

I am O Positive, so about 60% of the population can have my blood, as everybody has "O" & about 60% have Rhesus Positive in various combinations.

I used to give blood regularly, but after having worked in some strange parts of the globe, Ithey wont take my bloob any more, I would still donate if I could, and anyone in a profession like ours should be the same, you never know when it might be yourself that needs it

Your post has really moved me Shaun! I went through a period where I thought I may lose my wife to illness so I have a sense of empathy with you. I too am a lapsed donor but this is the kick up the backside I need to get donating again. Here's wishing you all the very best!