This thread could potentially save a life

button1803

Oh Im up and at it again, 3 day weeks, getting stronger all the time. had my Winter of Discontent and my Annus Horribilus all in one go, moving onwards and upwards lke a racingnsnake again now, thanks. but this isnt about me for a change, this is your thread. :thumbup1:

i was very close to having councelling. even the midwife who did a home visit recommended it, feel alot better now, but first few nights mate, the dreams, flash backs, just feeling emotional outa the blue... but we got there and im a very happy proud dad... and onwards n upwards now mr collins hey! :thumbup:

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shaun, your family's experience in the hospital really hit me hard, 16 months ago my wife gave birth to our first son, and reading your account sent shivers down me. We didn't have such a traumatic time but I recall holding Joseph for the first time and realising I hadn't a clue how to care for him. What must have been going through your mind at that time for you I can only guess. I am a blood donor and it gives a tremendous feeling knowing that I might help to save a life, I'm so relieved to hear that there were enough blood stocks in the right place to save your wife. Also massive respect to all involved hospitals, we all take the NHS for granted to a certain extent I feel.

I can only echo Button's message folks; it really doesn't take a lot to donate, please look into it if you can.:001_smile:

Brilliant post

We had the chat today over dinner- have asked the boys to join the club though one can't due to yellow fever vaccinations fo another year.

It takes about 1 hour of your day and is not just used for transfusions

Blood products are seen regularly on the cancer wards.

Platelets to help blood clot. I think they even get stem cells out of donated blood.

Don't wait till it affects you. Please donate blood

One step further is bone marrow

I met a girl with Hodgkins today who has a match with 2 people in Germany.

As a final request- body after death.

Sounds gruesome but do it(tell your nearest and dearest first)

Thanks for this thread. I will get back in the loop. I used to give blood regularly but kind of fell out of the habit somehow, busy etc. etc.

There are a lot of people who can't give blood for whatever reason so those of us that can should do so. It's not hard and you do get a stale biscuit for free! I'm going to check out the next session near me right now and get booked in.

All the best to you and yours, quite a rollercoaster you've been on.

Shaun, your family's experience in the hospital really hit me hard, 16 months ago my wife gave birth to our first son, and reading your account sent shivers down me. We didn't have such a traumatic time but I recall holding Joseph for the first time and realising I hadn't a clue how to care for him. What must have been going through your mind at that time for you I can only guess. I am a blood donor and it gives a tremendous feeling knowing that I might help to save a life, I'm so relieved to hear that there were enough blood stocks in the right place to save your wife. Also massive respect to all involved hospitals, we all take the NHS for granted to a certain extent I feel.

I can only echo Button's message folks; it really doesn't take a lot to donate, please look into it if you can.:001_smile:

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I WANTED TO HEAR!!! many thoughts went though my mind mate trust me, never seen so much blood, it was the point where my wife was in trouble, but i couldnt do a thing to help... that was horrible.. i used to think what happens to my blood after donating... after this experince now i know... and it makes you feel really good to know that you have helped someone or more so saved someones life too! :thumbup1:

Thanks for this thread. I will get back in the loop. I used to give blood regularly but kind of fell out of the habit somehow, busy etc. etc.

There are a lot of people who can't give blood for whatever reason so those of us that can should do so. It's not hard and you do get a stale biscuit for free! I'm going to check out the next session near me right now and get booked in.

All the best to you and yours, quite a rollercoaster you've been on.

your a gent and many thanks... oh and the biscuits have improved :thumbup1: you get mccoys crisps, penguin bars, lemon and orange squash, cups of tea now and lots more after donating :thumbup:

Oh and to all new dads, the odd feelings are fairly normal although in Shaun's case, obvioulsy he's been through a hell of a thing as well as becoming a new dad.

It's when the midwives and all the pro's go off and leave you in your house with this little baby and you kind of say....'uh...ok.....'.

My third boy is now nearly 3 and all were born at home in the living room, kitchen and bedroom respectively. It does get easier once you've had some practice!

Brilliant post

We had the chat today over dinner- have asked the boys to join the club though one can't due to yellow fever vaccinations fo another year.

It takes about 1 hour of your day and is not just used for transfusions

Blood products are seen regularly on the cancer wards.

Platelets to help blood clot. I think they even get stem cells out of donated blood.

Don't wait till it affects you. Please donate blood

One step further is bone marrow

I met a girl with Hodgkins today who has a match with 2 people in Germany.

As a final request- body after death.

Sounds gruesome but do it(tell your nearest and dearest first)

like the detail you put in this mate and how spot on you are!! :thumbup1:

Congrats on the baby, and all the best to your wife from me and my other half, when my son was born we almost lost him at a month old, not the same but I'm ever gratefull for the quick response from the hospital staff and the paramedics. Without them I wouldn't have him.

I give blood ever time. I'm A resess negative, or however it's written, all I know is it's rare and I would like to think there is some rare blood ready if I ever have an accident.

And let's face it we are all in danger of loosing blood as we all use chainsaws, if it be for carving, or working, with or without a ticket, cut your arm off and the first thing you will need is the red stuff.

Richard

P.s I'm afraid there will never be a day you will not think about it. I think about my boy the moment he wakes up, I think about what happend to him and was there anything I could have done to help him, bit different to yours as I had to give CPR, but I still think about it and how I handled it, it's natural I'm told, just have to think about it and then end the thought with the fact that they are hear with you, soon makes the thought pointless but the mind can't help but think about it.

Edited by Rich2484

Oh and to all new dads, the odd feelings are fairly normal although in Shaun's case, obvioulsy he's been through a hell of a thing as well as becoming a new dad.

It's when the midwives and all the pro's go off and leave you in your house with this little baby and you kind of say....'uh...ok.....'.

My third boy is now nearly 3 and all were born at home in the living room, kitchen and bedroom respectively. It does get easier once you've had some practice!

the surgeon said to me if my wfe had a home birth it would of been a different story.... and i know what you mean to the uh ok bit,.. but im learning and getting there i think :001_rolleyes: