home made kindling splitter?

hiluxstihl

hi, has anyone tryed to build there own? i appreciate the automatic machines are the ideal solution, but my budget doesnt stretch to that! im thinking about building a vertical splitter with an x or maybe * head coming down to a plate for holding the logs....

thanks Dermot

I have been told about a guy who had built one with the bottom end of a scooter/motor bike.

He hooked up a large electric motor to the crank, attached a splitting blade to the con rod and with some welding hey presto. Sounded nice and dangerous!

Hi mate,

How much work do you have in front of this machine you want to build? As costs of fabricating things can easily spiral out of control and if you had enough work ahead surely itd be worth getting the real deal. Dont get me wrong im all for the whole 'adapt and overcome' way of thinking with machinery but could more trouble than its worth. . . . .

Just my opinion.

Cheers

Andrew

thanks for replys, im still trying to visualise the scooter idea! ive seen the splitter kindling maker before, it probably works grand, im thinking of something a little faster and independant... ive boughtan old cable winch, cut it to a power pack now so im going to build a kindling splitter on one side and log splitter on the other side...

The kindling market is very competative and its difficult to earn a wage even with the latest newest most efficient kit. Unless you have alot of spare time I would concentrate on your main business. If we have another mild winter there will be plenty of bargain bags about.